Post by Q.T.Quazar »

here is a little story for you:

<QTQuazar> that 1M+ on the Mikie set is insane
<Gaz> %lb mikiehs
<LazyBitch> Fetching the top 3 scores for mikiehs...please wait
<LazyBitch> 1: 1440700 (Oct 16 2002) karol@HotTeam.pl
<LazyBitch> 2: 360700 (Oct 11 2002) asn007@HotTeam.pl
<LazyBitch> 3: 298200 (Feb 27 2001) aklys
<XXXXX> has that been checked for leeching?
<QTQuazar> no, prolly should
<QTQuazar> well, the funny thing is i didn't think you COULD leech in that set...maybe in the hallway

poor naive little me. so i went and checked out the top two scores, and sure enough...Karol earns 1M+ points on the first step, asn007 earns 300K+, pretty much in the first hallway section.

now, i've never been big on regulating leeching, but this one is a big problem. it's the same situation as gng--you can leech enough to keep earning bonus lives to keep leeching. and i don't see how the leeching can be regulated here, since you can step into a classroom and back into a hallway.

so, as a request, i'd like to ask the editors and confirmers (and other MARPers, if you want) to watch these .inps for MIKIEHS, and decide whether they think:

a) that the leeching should be regulated (only one life in hallway? per section?)
b) they have sugestions for alternate dip settings (harder? more points for lives?)
c) nothing should be done

then Pat, or whoever does them, could post a vote.

since i have a vested interest in this game, i'll refrain from commenting at this point.
Last edited by Q.T.Quazar on Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

I say let it stand. At the very least, let the players play how they want in one of the clones.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

totally banworthy

it's a silly scoring trick that's not very interesting to watch either. I would much rather see actual made progress made through the game. It's great that Karol made it through 6 Steps/loops.... EVENTUALLY. Would he have done it without all those extra lives earned in that section? Probably not.

Of the choices you listed, I don't think harder settings are the way to go. It's probably not going to make the leeching any more difficult, it's just going to make the regular game harder.... which is not what we're shooting for. Leeching needs to be regulated in some way. But how much is too much? I dunno... let's say that if 5 (or maybe 10, just to be on the lenient side. I'm just throwing out numbers here) "buckets" are thrown from the side in a hallway, you've been there too long and your play should be subject to DQ.

something like that.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Need leeching ban in Mikie (all sets) - 1M+ MIKIEHS

Post by Francois Daniel »

Q.T.Quazar wrote:a) that the leeching should be regulated (only one life in hallway? per section?)
I think it's the better solution. Make the game harder wil not prevent any leeching.

Francois
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

I think it's the better solution. Make the game harder wil not prevent any leeching.
LOL, Indeed! As we found out with Toki ;-)

Kranser.
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

What about a 5 men game? I don´t like this leching either. Maybe that is the best thing to do.
QRS
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Speaking of games for 5 lives only, I think games like City Connection that give what is it literally, infinite bonuses after 900K? should be limited to 5 lives.
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: RE

Post by DaviL »

QRS wrote:What about a 5 men game? I don´t like this leching either. Maybe that is the best thing to do.

I think there are a lot of game that need a lives limit.
To prevent marathon games (some game are much generous for lives) and to prevent players who prefer leeching instead advance the game. Rock'n Rope is an example.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

and again our small team is the top subject
i dont like what karol have made at mikie but i admire it - i tried 2 do that and it need some practice and very much selfcontrol and coordination
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Changing the game to 5 lives isn't going to solve a damn thing. The leeching can still be done infinitely in the hallway, it's just a matter of when you mess up. There is no timer there like on games like Ghosts n Goblins. In fact, setting the game to 5 lives would ENCOURAGE people who have this leeching trick down pat, since who wants to attempt to make progress in the game when you can just save time and effort by just staying in the hallway after the first classroom? Later Steps in the game are difficult to survive in.

The trick just needs to be done away with entirely.
JoeyL21988 wrote:Speaking of games for 5 lives only, I think games like City Connection that give what is it literally, infinite bonuses after 900K? should be limited to 5 lives.
Well, for now I think the common courtesy on City Connection is that once you break 900k, you get one more extra life, and then once you lose that, stop playing. I think that's what NotMan did in his recordings.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:Changing the game to 5 lives isn't going to solve a damn thing. The leeching can still be done infinitely in the hallway, it's just a matter of when you mess up. There is no timer there like on games like Ghosts n Goblins. In fact, setting the game to 5 lives would ENCOURAGE people who have this leeching trick down pat, since who wants to attempt to make progress in the game when you can just save time and effort by just staying in the hallway after the first classroom? Later Steps in the game are difficult to survive in.

The trick just needs to be done away with entirely.
JoeyL21988 wrote:Speaking of games for 5 lives only, I think games like City Connection that give what is it literally, infinite bonuses after 900K? should be limited to 5 lives.
Well, for now I think the common courtesy on City Connection is that once you break 900k, you get one more extra life, and then once you lose that, stop playing. I think that's what NotMan did in his recordings.
Oh alright. I should look into it more next time. >_< Sorry.
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Ok, if that´s the case I say we ban the trick.
QRS
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re..

Post by AL »

Yep , ban it .

I just kinda remember a similar thing been done over here years ago , and thats it really .

BTW , Quinn , is your old e-mail addy gone ? I did mail you a while back to say " welcome back...etc..., and how are you ?..etc.."

Cheers ,

AL ( ..etc..)
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "