ddsomur1 - Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

ddsomur1 - Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara

Post by kranser »

It seems that mahlemiut used the Invincible Glitch in his latest ddsomur1 recording (score position 1st).

Now the question is, should this glitch be allowed?

As the glitch has been corrected in the next version release of the game (ddsomu), I guess it SHOULD be allowed, as it is part of this 1st release version, and you could do it in the arcades, and this score will be held in MARP separately from the fixed version's score.

mahlemiut also hung-up the game by apparently (according to one of the game's FAQs - http://www.gamefaq.com) using the glitch incorrectly!

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Kranser.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

B U S T E D !
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Heh, well, no one will say how it is used correctly, I've been using trial and error to even get that far without it hanging. Still, it did the trick, someone noticed it. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

:-) well the most info on the internet does seem to be rather quiet about this glitch!

Thanks for proving that the game is playable with this glitch almost until the end!

Kranser.
Last edited by kranser on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

I read some more about the glitch, and now I understand why you weren't picking up all the items. That baffled be for ages! :-)

Kranser.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Now the question is, should this glitch be allowed?
The question still stands. :)
Pika163
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Pika163 »

I think it should be allowed for two reasons:

1. It doesn't happen on all the romsets.

2. It sounds like if you don't do it correctly, you hang the game and screw your chances of getting a better score. Almost like what was decided on leeching, if that you can't do it forever or if there is some risks involved, then it's usually allowed. It sounds like to me that there is some risks involved with this glitch.
---J. Michael Bottorff
"The stupidest kinds of people are the ones who put self-quotes in their signature." --Me
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Watch a recording that shows the bug before you decide what to do. I think it hould not be allowed at all. That is not a trick, it is a pure bug/glitch in the game.
QRS
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

How about special rules for this version then?
Baby Bonnie Hood
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Baby Bonnie Hood »

kranser wrote:Thanks for proving that the game is playable with this glitch almost until the end!
Actually, it's possible to finish the game all the way while glitched if you play it right. I remember a local arcade that had that version of D&D:SoM, and I've seen almost all players glitch their way through the game. And many of them managed to finish it too. Of course, I considered it an extremely sickening sight (I mean almost-total invulnerability is cheating, right?) so I stayed as far away from that stupid machine as possible and just played my games of Vamp Savior (as BBH, of course ;)).
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

I would ban the technique and move the .inp from competition to the Tips and Tricks page.

Yes, you cold do the technique in the arcade but so what? You can leech endlessly in arcade games as well, and we regulate that, as well as any other tricks that allow invincibility or infinite lives. Hell, even a game like City Connection which doesn't have official rules has an honor code that says first death after 900K is game over.
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

The removal of this glitch is probably the main difference between this first release of the game (ddsomur1), and the later (fixed) release (ddsomu).

So, as it forms part of the difference between the two versions, shouldn't it be allowed for that reason? Ok, I know that MARP isn't necessarily focussed on the differences between game versions, but it is still an aspect of the game.

If MAME only supported 1 version of DDSOMU , then I would think that the glitch shouldn't be allowed, but as MAME supports both versions, I'm currently unsure where I stand on this point!

Regards,
Kranser.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

kranser wrote:The removal of this glitch is probably the main difference between this first release of the game (ddsomur1), and the later (fixed) release (ddsomu).

So, as it forms part of the difference between the two versions, shouldn't it be allowed for that reason? Ok, I know that MARP isn't necessarily focussed on the differences between game versions, but it is still an aspect of the game.

If MAME only supported 1 version of DDSOMU , then I would think that the glitch shouldn't be allowed, but as MAME supports both versions, I'm currently unsure where I stand on this point!

Methinks this is reminiscent of the Outrun thread a while ago... let it in on this version only and anyone who doesn't like can go ki.. er.. play the other versions ^^

Last thing ANYONE wants is what happened in the aforementioned thread to begin anew here..

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

It's about time we get a decision here.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... t=ddsomur1

mahlemiut words:
"Game locked up after finishing stage 9-b. I'm sure this will be DQed, though. ;)"

Well... at least now, more than 3 years, it was not DQed still now :)

Some special rules here???
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions