Playbackabilty Bug Introduced mame63 : prePoll discussion

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

zlk wrote:Chad, personally I don't care about the points. It is just the fact that I spent a lot of time making that cloak inp. Many people have gotten it to work. It is even confirmed. I feel bad that not everyone can get it to playback. If you want to have a vote, that is fine by me. If you want to zero it, I will be annoyed but it is not the end of the world. I just hope you can understand where I am coming from.
I agree with zlk 100%

The inp I made for Snakepit was done by a version of Mame which was completely
acceptable at the time...even encouraged I thought. To remove it after
the fact seems outrageously unfair.

Sure I could probably do it again using whatever version of Mame the rules
require next, but if it could just be removed again by outlawing that
version, what's the point?

The legal analogy would be an "ex post facto" law. The U.S. Constitution (I
happen to be American) forbids such laws as they are inherently unfair.

My suggestion would be that any rule with regard to what version of Mame
is acceptable should apply only to recordings made after the rule is
enacted.

John
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

zlk wrote:If you want to go to a universal everyone had better be able to play it or it gets thrown out' standard, I will quote from BBH's favorite game of all time:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good Luck! You'll need it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: don't say that, everyone knows my favorite game of all time is really Fight Fever

anyways, I agree with Weehawk. if recordings are going to get zeroed, it should only take effect for recordings uploaded AFTER a rule is passed.
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

in agreement with BBH, Weehawk, zlk. actually i think as long as a few people can play back the .inp, it should count. i don't know if my new computer is the Rosetta Stone of MARP or what, but I haven't had any problems at all with .63 or later stuff. everything plays back if i use the right MAME.
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I have a horrible scenario: few years later after recording my trackfld recording some can not playback it, submit to playbackability forum..and few other can not playback it either...It gets removed...Even if I believe many have succeeded playing it back before.

For me confirmed status is ok. If an inp is confirmed already...but I can't playback it...I don't go whining to playbackability forum about it.

If it's confirmed already, I know SCORE is legit. I'm not so desperate to see the inp, there are allways others I can learn from.

I do not care about leaderboard points. (New)Rules for uplaybackable inps are made only recently, I think without voting, and only couple of marpers joining the discussion at marp board. Little bit one sided decisions made by Chad I think.
Earlier confirmed status was ok not to NEVER remove the inp, even with many playbackers not succeeding.

I have never been able to playback Krogman's Galaga inp, propably many other have had same problem too...Remove that cheaters inp!
...I believe Marp is not only replay site, it's a high score site above all, replay being merely a way to prove the highscore. This is about competition and getting good scores you're proud about.

Anyway Chad, don't take this too personally. It's good that someone is trying to do something to clean Marp anyway.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

All of this might be moot now anyway...check Barry's thread in the General forum.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

naw, this issue isn't over just because someone hacked alphamame :) It's a sad day but it just goes back before blocking, one asshole can't destroy the honesty of a website that quickly. I've noticed a serious drop in the suspicious looking recordings (usually from newbies) during the alphamame era, so alphamame made it's point.

This here is a playbackability issue.
Q.T.Quazar wrote:in agreement with BBH, Weehawk, zlk. actually i think as long as a few people can play back the .inp, it should count. i don't know if my new computer is the Rosetta Stone of MARP or what, but I haven't had any problems at all with .63 or later stuff. everything plays back if i use the right MAME.
Everything you've tried playsback with the right mame, and it's already a pretty good bet that every one of these new games' recordings will only work on one of two configurations. Rosetta Stone, i don't think so, you just haven't found a recording made in the set you're not in. You can prove you have a rosetta stone machine by finding two recordings made by the two sets of configs and can play them both back, i'd actually like to see that.
-skito