Joust 2 Anomaly

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Joust 2 Anomaly

Post by Weehawk »

I was playing Joust 2 last night and something unusual happened.

(This game eats my lunch and steals dessert, BTW)

When I killed all the creatures on Wave 3 ("The Altar"), the wave did not end for some reason. Before the pterodactyls finished me off I found that by standing on the top platform they would all fly into my lance, just like in the original ROM of Joust. I persisted with this for over 100,000 points with no change. I guess I could have kept doing it until I had eclipsed all the top scores for the game, but I quit. (I wasn't recording.)

I assume the score would have been disqualified anyway, but I wasn't doing it by choice. It was the only way I could stay alive under the circumstances.

I haven't previously seen this reported on Joust 2. Anyone have any idea why the wave didn't end when it should have?

John
Last edited by Weehawk on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Interesting...cuz I had heard there are spots you can leech a little bit of pterodactyls but only a quite limited number since the wave ends...but you somehow didn't have the wave end so you could do it indefinitely.

As a TG ref, I'll have to check that out and discuss it with other refs...one in particular who is very good at the game to see if he has ever seen this.

Yes, I'm guessing any score doing that technique wouldn't be accepted just as regular Joust isn't.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

LN2 wrote:Yes, I'm guessing any score doing that technique wouldn't be accepted just as regular Joust isn't
Nor should it be, in my opinion. Those who are really expert at the game shouldn't have their scores bumped just because I encountered a glitch that might be MAME related and not possible in the arcade game anyway. It's just an interesting quandary that I didn't have a choice. I was forced into it.
LN2 wrote:As a TG ref....
Unrelated: How come TG doesn't record high scores for Snake Pit?

John
cubex
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Joust 2

Post by cubex »

Weehawk wrote:
LN2 wrote:Yes, I'm guessing any score doing that technique wouldn't be accepted just as regular Joust isn't
Nor should it be, in my opinion. Those who are really expert at the game shouldn't have their scores bumped just because I encountered a glitch that might be MAME related and not possible in the arcade game anyway. It's just an interesting quandary that I didn't have a choice. I was forced into it.
LN2 wrote:As a TG ref....
Unrelated: How come TG doesn't record high scores for Snake Pit?

John

Actually, it is possible to hunt pterodactyls on the coin-op machine.

I've never seen a case where the screen never ended without their being at least one
non-pterodactyl enemy on the screen, but there are lots of ways to kill pterodactyls and
have one buzzard either floating around aimlessly or in a stalemate with the Loch Ness
monster or the Lava Troll.

Joust 2 never saw wide release back in 1986, if it did I would think Williams would have
adjusted the programming, same as they did for the original.

Mark
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

It would be banned for leeching.

Regardless, however, if you could repeat while recording, this is exactly the sort of think we like to put up on the Tips & Tricks page, a separate page on MARP which highlights game-breaking techniques like this.
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

LN2 wrote:one in particular who is very good at the game
Turns out to be an understatement...
cubex wrote:I've never seen a case where the screen never ended without their being at least one non-pterodactyl enemy on the screen
If there was anybody left, I sure didn't see them.
cubex wrote:Joust 2 never saw wide release back in 1986
I literally never saw one. I had no idea what the game was like until MAME.

BTW, I was pretty good at the original Joust and have been trying it on MAME. Your 600k for a five-man game isn't in any imminent danger, but don't think there's nobody working on it. ](*,)
Q.T.Quazar wrote:if you could repeat while recording
No idea how or why it happened. May not ever happen again...

John