WCC3 week 2 : FASTLANE

Week Challenge Championship board

Moderator: NotMan

Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

Zteuer wrote:I think stage is better in this game, it shows how your true mastery of the game.

Ahh I agree but the true Master is the one who can complete each level with the fastest time, resulting in more points. So I dont think points should be disreguarded altogether. Maybe a better solution would be to use the "total lap time" in conjunction with final stage completed/reached to render a score.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

Zteuer wrote:I think stage is better in this game, it shows how your true mastery of the game. You can get to the same stage as someone and have more points because you lost your lifes in a stage where you get more points, wich is a lot more random way of showing your skill.
cant agree stage is truly mastered when u recieve the total number of points from it
why not prefered someone who can past level 4 example 8 with 10k bonus and the other player can do the smae but only with 5k :(
i think that no leeching should be a rule and normally the score makes the placements
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Tommorow last day round 2 and anybody don't know what scoring system will be. No sense.
I play, play and what? I will defeated because I play for stages (for example) and at end friday I get to know that points are more important than stages?
Time to decision. What scoring system will be for fastlane. I think that Phil should this write here and now.
Last edited by destructor on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

totally agree with u
maybe som kind of pool 4 players???
i think that points should count if we agree that leeching methods ar not acceptable

BTw: glad 2 see nanni and metracle in action :) welcome home guys :)
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Why not drop this game and change the game? You don´t have to set any points for this round. Call it a practice round for fun. Sometimes a game is not fit for a competition (leeching bad scoring etc), and yes it can happen in a competition. Not a big deal.

Just my opinion.
QRS
Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

Phil Lamat wrote:IMPORTANT INFO :
As there is a leeching issue on this game, final week2 rankings will be made regarding :
1-nb of last stage reached
2-score
Isn't this what has been decided? It looks like everyone is going for stages judging by the submitted inputs.

It is of course still possible to leech and rack up men in the first stages, but on the other hand the game gets harder with increasing score. Try leeching 100k on the first stage and you will find that your patterns for later levels don't work anymore. The enemy cars move faster and make it harder to complete each stage. Just leeching 40k on the first stage will make a difference.

I wouldn't cry my eyes out if we didn't count this round since I probably won't get any wcc points anyway, but I do think the proposed ranking is good enough to use in the wcc.
-Abbe
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: RE

Post by destructor »

QRS wrote:Why not drop this game and change the game? You don´t have to set any points for this round. Call it a practice round for fun. Sometimes a game is not fit for a competition (leeching bad scoring etc), and yes it can happen in a competition. Not a big deal.

Just my opinion.
What? I spend 5 days without rest on this game and now change?
For me scoring system isn't important now. I have good score at good stage :wink:
But no more controversial game.
I think that first Phil's words:
Phil Lamat wrote: IMPORTANT INFO :
As there is a leeching issue on this game, final week2 rankings will be made regarding :
1-nb of last stage reached
2-score
are important and will be execute.
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

Oh yes, for this competition Phils rules should stand. And to scratch this game after 6 days of people competing in it is just assanine.

I think alot of this discussion is on how to judge the scoring for this game in the future, not for this week, which has already been set by Phil.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

*sigh* Please calm down guys....

First of all I don´t compete in this tourney (not now at least)
Also I don´t have any power at all to do anything about rules in this tourney, and I would not do it if I had the power either... Phil is the man that decides everything here!

I just had my OWN opinion... I did it because it seems that many posts have been about "why is it so" and "this is not right" etc. And that is AFTER Phil posted his latest rules.

I thought that it might be fair to everyone just to not count this round if there is too much opinions about scoring etc. Mind that this is just my opinion and I stand for that. I have not said that you SHOULD do it or that I should enforce any rules :)

If things works great with Phils rules everything is fine.Nothing needs to be changed!. I just wonder why it seems that people disagreed with Phils new rules then.. oh well :)

The best thing is that games are tested al lot before the round starts so things like this wont happen. It is a hard task yes! And even harder as Phil is alone on this(and has children to take care of too!).Phil is doing a great job btw, so no discredit to him at all!!

Cheers!
QRS
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

QRS wrote:If things works great with Phils rules everything is fine.Nothing needs to be changed!. I just wonder why it seems that people disagreed with Phils new rules then.. oh well
Sorry Q, didn't mean to bark at ya. No disrespect intended.:wink:

I hadn't really got the impression that anyone disagreed with Phils rules. But there is an issue with the scoring method that is in place right now for this game. For Example Someone who should be in first place(according to new rules and rounds reached) could conceivably have fewer points than than someone else reducing his leaderboard score for that game. For this competition by Phils rules we're disreguarding that and awarding that kind of player 1st place. Even if he not technically in "1st" place. But eventually there will need for concise scoring rules for this game or a new way to tabulate points to straighten out the leaderboard.

For this competition we are using # of rounds reached using points as a tiebreaker. I don't think anyones arguing that. If this is gonna be the way the game is scored from now on, forever and ever amen, then a new scoring system will need to be used so the best player is actually awarded "1st" place. Instead of the player with the highest points. Like if you reached stage 15, then "15" would be your score. There could even be ways to further divide positions thus avoiding lots of ties, like converting time per stage into bonus points.

Here is a proposed method that could work. Just an opinion. Im ONLY suggesting this for the future, NOT for this competition:

You could award 100 points for each round completed. Bonus points for lap time could work like this. 1 point for under 1:00, 2 points for under :40 and 3 points for under :20. Anyting over a minute would be zero. This would still make rounds completed the most important aspect while allowing players with the good "lap times" to break annoying ties.
Last edited by Dax on Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zteuer
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Zteuer »

Dax, have you broken stage 19 yet :twisted:
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

Negative
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

Are you getting to it consistantly? Im still trying to pattern 17. Only made it through once through sheer luck.
Zteuer
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Zteuer »

I have a pattern for 17 wich is the same as in your submitted inp. I can't do it consistently though because it is related to the speed of the blue cars. I also have a pattern for 19 (with speed issues), and I have completed 20 once. I haven't done 19 and 20 in an inp so far though, and time is running out...
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

destructor wrote:Tommorow last day round 2 and anybody don't know what scoring system will be. No sense.
I play, play and what? I will defeated because I play for stages (for example) and at end friday I get to know that points are more important than stages?
Time to decision. What scoring system will be for fastlane. I think that Phil should this write here and now.
I guess this post was the reason I posted my suggestion at all. It just felt people was confused and no one had even discussed what I was going to suggest. Hence my (maybe too) radical suggestion :)

ohh btw, no offense taken DAX :)
Last edited by QRS on Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
QRS