Discussion: Authority to Start Polls

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

My point was regardless of exactly how the editors got to be editor they are all trustworthy enough to handle when to start polls etc.

Of course it would first require members to ask a poll be started for this or that...with some discussion.

Novice as usual states only a couple people in the world have enough video game knowledge to handle such a position.

He still doesn't see the flaw in that reasoning. You don't need to know everything to look at a discussion on a topic where members want a poll for a special rule or a rule change and from that design a poll for it...or judge from the current discussion etc. there isn't enough substance or following for the change to justify even running a poll.

If it's a decent discussion the discussion itself should have enough info to make that decision whether that editor is very familiar with that particular game or not.

It's only to avoid trivial or even inappropriate polls and to make sure the question and choices are clear....which for many polls in the past it wasn't clear or had way too many choices.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

QRS wrote:
Weehawk wrote:Hmmm..

The rules page says there will be a maximum of seven editors. Either it or the staff list page must be outdated.

Oh well....
7 Editors and Zwaxy. He is everlasting, the only one etc so he is above the term editor j/k :)
Ok seriously 7 editors and Zwaxy as the founder and owner etc.
As the three musketeer who aren't three but four. The 7 editors are 8 not seven. It's logical :)

Francois
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Discussion: Authority to Start Polls

Weehawk wrote:There has been some discussion in other threads as to whether the general membership should retain the ability to start polls or whether this should be left to the editors.
Clearly, polls must be made only by editors but with a great discussion in the board before any poll. it's my opinion.

Francois
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Francois Daniel wrote:
Weehawk wrote:There has been some discussion in other threads as to whether the general membership should retain the ability to start polls or whether this should be left to the editors.
Clearly, polls must be made only by editors but with a great discussion in the board before any poll. it's my opinion.

Francois
Yes. Great discussion is nesessity.
(not Loser's Nonsence Complain)

Discussion also require enough knowledge/skill
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Novice, post again. Not sure of your intentions...you forgot defcon...ouch
:lol:
Forget it...life is not all about 1-7 anyway, is it?
Novice

Post by Novice »

Sure enough. F,L,T appears.

everything I want to say is "I AGREE WITH THIS TOPIC."

Ban all voting from non-editor.
After enough discussion (of course IT MUST BE DISCUSSION)
only editor can start poll.

very very fine.

P.S.
DEFCON=7
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Is there a counterpoint out there anywhere?

Step up and be heard...
John Cunningham (JTC)
Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

I would like for everyone to be able to start polls in the future too. It's a great way of letting people express their opinions, since it's much easier voting than replying in a discussion.

The problem is not that everyone can start a poll. The problem is that everyone can start a poll that affects the rules of Marp. That privilege should be exclusively for editors for reasons already mentioned.

The only problem I see with removing this right from ordinary members is that it will be harder for non-editors to change or make additions to existing rules. This could be a problem with games that none of the editors are interested in. It was to solve this the right to start polls was introduced.

But as someone said, Marp is not a democracy, and I trust the current editors. Otherwise I would have demanded some way of forcing the editors to start a poll. After the obligatory discussion, of course. :)
-Abbe
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Novice wrote:everything I want to say is "I AGREE WITH THIS TOPIC."

uuuh, "Ban all voting from non-editor" isn't what this topic is about.

All members would get to cast a vote in any polls. This is only about poll creation in the forums.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

before you flame, consider LANGUAGE issues. he proly meant ban all polling from non-editors...
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

perhaps chad....but perhaps Novice needs to think a little bit before what he writes. He clearly uses "poll" correctly in many other places...and given even in that post he mentions only editors start polls...I figured that other statement about voting was about voting..not creating polls.

I just wanted to clarify that difference for him...in case he was misunderstanding part of it.

His language seems pretty good when he gets into showing disrespect toward others and putting down others here.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LN2 wrote:
Novice wrote:everything I want to say is "I AGREE WITH THIS TOPIC."

uuuh, "Ban all voting from non-editor" isn't what this topic is about.

All members would get to cast a vote in any polls. This is only about poll creation in the forums.
Maybe it's a little mystake, maybe Novice mean ' Ban all poll from non-editor. :)

Francois

PS : congrats Rick for your 9th position in the LB. I just see you are in Top 10 :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Francois Daniel wrote:PS : congrats Rick for your 9th position in the LB. I just see you are in Top 10 :)
Thx....it's getting harder now though as others near the top can also state cuz others are often beating your scores and knocking down your leaderboard points a tad here and there.

I have a goal to reach 20,000 by the end of September. It's a tough goal. I likely will have to play some games and submit scores that I can't even place in the top 3 on. As you likely have noticed by now for the most part I only submit scores that at least at the time of submission are a top 3 score. I still have a handful of pacman type games to achieve scores for...hehe...although it takes time to play those.

I actually am working on pac-plus some now...even though I have the top score here at MARP, I want the WR...which is 3,213,900. The current pacplus score I have here was done before I spent those few months mastering normal pac-man. pacplus is definitely harder but the monsters pretty much move the same way....so it's just a matter of having 4-5 nights to get it done I think. :P
Novice

Post by Novice »

At first, I wanted to say what Francois said.
but now,I think "Ban vote from non-editor" seemed much better idea.
require 6 votes out of 8 (3/8 is higher than 33.3%) to change rule.
and discussion before poll was by enough knowledge men.

:!: very nice is not it?
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

for somethings we do that (like voting new editors in) but here i think a democracy serves better. I agree that everyone doesn't know everything, but neither do 8 people. That's why we get the 66% rule in there, at least 66% of the people who choose to vote and presume they know what the right decision is will make it pass. There's a lot of room for error (people who just want to change the rules for their own benefit) and it will still the choose *right* way after the poll is done.

there's a running bet to guess how many lines rick post is going to be??? i'll put 50$ on 300 lines :)
-skito