My MAME recording of 1944 -- works for other people?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Bern-D
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

My MAME recording of 1944 -- works for other people?

Post by Bern-D »

On my website, I would like to present my MAME recording of 1944: THE LOOP MASTER, which demonstrates how I earned 14,103,560 points (all stages cleared). I doubt I'll be able to improve upon this performance for a while. The replay works properly on my computer, but I want to make sure this replay can work on other computers, so I would like you guys to help me verify this. Attached is the INP file.

I don't want to upload this through the MARP Upload page, because I used autofire, which I'm aware is not permitted at MARP, but I prefer to use it anyway.

Here are the settings I've used to record this replay:
  • emulator: WolfMAME Plus 0.77
  • frameskip: 0
  • sound sample rate: 44100
  • operating system: Windows 98 SE
Please let me know if more information is needed.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Plays to 14,103,560 for me.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

thank you very much, this will be a good test for our autofire detector! I'll check it out, too. but looks like it playsback for at least one person here which is good.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Checkout that site!

WOW! Statistic approach for improving in a game...
Is it a joke or real...

If seriously written, then...

I would recommend using cheat sometimes..it brings more relaxed gameplay, and gives more space for experimenting unordinary "moves"

...Just don't do it too much, or you'll have problems adaptating for NOT making mistakes :P

Previously I have tried to make a curve for improving in one game, it didn't work for me. My improvement many times has a stop scorewise...even though knowing that today I play better than yesterday. Finally a breakthrough game emerges.

Many times there are also psychological aspects that make your best game not same level with actual playing skills. Usually skill>score :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

practicing using cheats sometimes can easily help your game.

These don't have to be use of invunerability etc. but perhaps just infinite lives so you still play the game "normally" but have the men to practice the later and tough stages more.

When I practice mspac, I don't bother with the early boards. I use the cheat so I have the rack advance dip switch so I rack advance to where the "slow boards" start(no blue time)...then start playing....when a monster gets me I quickly hit tab and right arrow to rack advance to the next board before I actually lose a life.

Repeating this process allows for a great practice session concentrating completely on those later slow boards.

For pacman, I used a similar technique for very quickly developing 9th key patterns. I can develop a new 9th key pattern from scratch in about 45-60 minutes using the rack advance.

it allows focus on that one part of the game...without having to waste a lot of time going through the early stages/boards where mentally you get more disconnected from what you last did on those later boards. By shortening that time from 1 attempt to the next, you have a more efficient learning process.

As you state above, it also can make you more relaxed for playing the game...if you die..no biggie...infinite lives.... so you try risks and things you normally wouldn't try playing the game "for real". You also suddenly find yourself playing better cuz you aren't panicking at the thought of losing a life.

We all know that you won't be nearly as successful for many games if you only play to survive....fearful of the enemy(ies).

You can easily end up noticing something trying odd stuff in the gameplay that you can incorporate into your normal gameplay to improve.
Bern-D
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Bern-D »

First, thanks, Weehawk, for confirming that the recording replays as intended.
The TJT wrote:WOW! Statistic approach for improving in a game...
Is it a joke or real...
Yeah, I am using statistical methods seriously.

Several months ago, I was figuring out how to play a game for high scores. I became bored of playing Strikers 1945 just to survive, so I thought of some crazy ways to score well. None of them worked. The same happened when I tried playing DonPachi for score, and I became frustrated. The reason why I was performing so poorly is that I was trying to hasten the time it takes to beat my best score.

Instead of focusing on my best score, I realized that I should focus on my performance over time—say, the last 30 plays. To measure my performance, I use statistical methods, because I am best capable of using them properly. This way, I can track improvement and make better decisions on how to improve my performance—I don't have to stress over working towards the one lucky, breakthrough play.
I would recommend using cheat sometimes..it brings more relaxed gameplay, and gives more space for experimenting unordinary "moves"
I have used a similar cheating device: save states. These have helped me pinpoint the areas that I want to practice. I want to play games that have yet to be emulated (like Ketsui), however, so I won't have the convenience of save states or any other cheats. Thanks for the advice, but I would rather learn how to stop depending on save states and cheats to make quick progress.
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

The replay works for me. Great play Ber! Keep doing whatever you are doing. It seems to be working.

Why not upload to the main page of MARP? I think many people would like to see this replay.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

zlk wrote:Why not upload to the main page of MARP? I think many people would like to see this replay.
Bern-D wrote:I don't want to upload this through the MARP Upload page, because I used autofire, which I'm aware is not permitted at MARP, but I prefer to use it anyway
John Cunningham (JTC)
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

Since he cannot officially submit the inp to marp, maybe he could submit it to one of these pages:

http://park7.wakwak.com/~ab2/ab2/mame_replay_menu.html

http://kotttre.web.infoseek.co.jp/

http://mog-web.web.infoseek.co.jp/

http://mamerep.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/joyful.cgi

Personally, I am quite impressed that Ber finished the game on one credit. In fact, this is the only 1944 replay on the net that I know of that finishes the game on one credit. One of these sites might host the replay.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

he can still submit it to MARP also...just enter a score of 0 then in the description post what the real score was and that it's a sample replay but uses autofire.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

He can also just send it to barry to put on the cheeky page. We're planning on a time where he will be able to submit it to marp automatically with the score he got, just in a different cheat/trick/tip area. Still haven't got around to checking this one, but will soon.
-skito
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

analinp gets some more proof it works for autofire detection anyway.

this is the CLEAREST case of autofire/slowdown i've ever seen, you've got a pretty nice mech. For determining autofire we usually gets one or two positive numbers, if one of the numbers is less than 0.20 then it's usually an autofire. Around 0.20 i usually say is "borderline"="could be fast presses could be autofire". 0.18 and below with lots of presses is pretty much autofire or slowdown, this recording yields two numbers, a 0.00 and 0.01, for 43k presses.
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

the recording worked fine for me too. Very nice, 1944 is a very difficult game I think!

it would be great if you could do a recording without autofire, but I can see how important having autofire is during the charge-up attacks... being unable to fire as fast during those times would greatly affect your strategies during bosses, I'm sure. But hey, it's still some nice play.
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Bern-D wrote: Several months ago, I was figuring out how to play a game for high scores. I became bored of playing Strikers 1945 just to survive, so I thought of some crazy ways to score well. None of them worked. The same happened when I tried playing DonPachi for score, and I became frustrated. The reason why I was performing so poorly is that I was trying to hasten the time it takes to beat my best score.
This approach seemed very fine.
I like replay like yours rather than thousands of MARPlike score :D

So let you beat 27.04 million of LAOS-OSADA-SENNIN.
I certain if you will do,(IF YOU WILL DO!!!!) you will be respected by all gamers of the world even if you use autofire.

cf. non-autofire section's high score is 25M.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE