Leaderboard Cut-Off: Discussion

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Leaderboard Cut-Off: Discussion

Post by Weehawk »

It was even closer than I thought it would be, but the majority has voted in favor of cutting off leaderboard points after a certain place or score or something.

Most of the previous discussion has talked about simply awarding no leaderboard point below 3rd or 5th place, but otherwise using the same formula in effect now.

Should I simply start a vote for those two options or is there another idea worthy of support?

Discussion please.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: Leaderboard Cut-Off: Discussion

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

Weehawk wrote:It was even closer than I thought it would be, but the majority has voted in favor of cutting off leaderboard points after a certain place or score or something.

Most of the previous discussion has talked about simply awarding no leaderboard point below 3rd or 5th place, but otherwise using the same formula in effect now.

Should I simply start a vote for those two options or is there another idea worthy of support?

Discussion please.

Well there AS prior discussion in the last thread about the options being a bit misleading... so that may be why everything was so close... but 1 vote from a deadlock.. wow...

But what I don't like about this proposal is the fact that there's a lot of games where the first 3-5 spots are really high... virtually having to master the game... this means if any player submits.. even if they come close to it, but just falls short.. they get no reward for their efforts... which I might point out, is VERY discouraging.

It's sad this poll and discussion even had to occur... I honestly figured removing the ABC uploaders would've been a lot easier, as there was only a few and they were quite obvious. [Regretfully most of the JVRM players... though there are a few good ones, like Sawys, who actually upload quality scores not worth 2 points]

Ah well... cut off at 7th place does seem reasonable... gives people a decent chance to actually get something if they fall short of godliness in some games [1942 comes to mind immediately.. or Wonderboy in Monsterland, which I do wonder if it should be split into 2 categories... one for normal completion and one for leeching completion... or if leeching should be outright banned..... but that's another thought for another day]

Well that's my 23 cents...

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
MrBunny
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by MrBunny »

I would suggest a 7th place cut-off also.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Cut-off after 3rd place is the only way to go.
Buttermaker wrote:
Proposition 4
Current formula (see Proposition 3) but cutting off after 5th place so that anything after 5th place gets 0
Not good. Too many chances for ABCers to get LB points.

Proposition 5
Places get percentage of score scaled down by a subtracted 15% for each place, that is:

1st place gets 100 pts
2nd place gets (percentage of first place score) * .85
3rd place gets (percentage of first place score) * .70
4th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .55
5th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .40
6th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .25
7th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .10

anything below 7th place gets 0
Zwaxy wrote:In time every game will have 7 decent scores for it, and the ABC uploaders will give up. Are we willing to wait for that?
No. Just think about the 100 (yes, 100) Atari clones added in a recent version. There are way too many games/clones in MAME for MARP to have 7 decent scores even for a fraction of all games. I also want those inps to not even get uploaded in the first place.
There are 4877 games in MAME .81u4 and more are getting added each week.

Cut-off after 5 would be bad. Cut-off after 7 is absolutely ridiculous.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

MrBunny wrote:I would suggest a 7th place cut-off also.
I agree on this.
Frankie
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

MrBunny wrote:
I would suggest a 7th place cut-off also.

I agree too.
boxster
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by boxster »

I think 7th is a good cutoff.

There's really no point in stopping at 3rd, as the leaderboard already does that for one of the calculations.

Top 5 would probably be ok as well, but top 7 provides more room for submissions on popular games.

The super seven. :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

7 isn't horrible, note when ties occur it would be the super 8 or super 9 or super 100 :)

** actually that would only happen if all 8 or 9 people tie 1rst i think, so that's good and rare enough, and then it would be time to archive it perhaps if it's that easy.
-skito
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

I agree with Buttermaker on this one. Cut-off after 7th place is a bad idea. Cut-off after 3rd would be ideal. After 5th - not so good, but I would still be happy with it.
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

Buttermaker wrote:Cut-off after 3rd place is the only way to go.

There are 4877 games in MAME .81u4 and more are getting added each week.

Cut-off after 5 would be bad. Cut-off after 7 is absolutely ridiculous.
Ridiculous in what way? I would be in favour of what was, I think, called proposition 5 - where:

1st place gets 100 pts
2nd place gets (percentage of first place score) * .85
3rd place gets (percentage of first place score) * .70
4th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .55
5th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .40
6th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .25
7th place gets (percentage of first place score) * .10
and anything below 7th place gets 0

It seems a lot of other people are in favour of 7 places getting points. Why limit it to 3? That makes the leaderboard out of bounds to the majority of players on each game. I really don't see what is to be gained by creating such an elitist atmosphere on the site.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Zwaxy wrote:It seems a lot of other people are in favour of 7 places getting points. Why limit it to 3? That makes the leaderboard out of bounds to the majority of players on each game. I really don't see what is to be gained by creating such an elitist atmosphere on the site.
I fully agree. I vote for a cut-off at 7th place.
QRS
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

It should be like the Olympics: if you do worse than 3rd place, you go home empty handed.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Zwaxy wrote:Ridiculous in what way?
Buttermaker wrote:
Buttermaker wrote:
Zwaxy wrote:In time every game will have 7 decent scores for it, and the ABC uploaders will give up. Are we willing to wait for that?
No. Just think about the 100 (yes, 100) Atari clones added in a recent version. There are way too many games/clones in MAME for MARP to have 7 decent scores even for a fraction of all games. I also want those inps to not even get uploaded in the first place.
Why limit it to 3? That makes the leaderboard out of bounds to the majority of players on each game.
Wrong.
Buttermaker wrote:There are 4877 games in MAME .81u4 and more are getting added each week.
Zwaxy wrote:I really don't see what is to be gained by creating such an elitist atmosphere on the site.
This has never been about elitism.

Weehawk wrote:My main concern however, is that it gives points (however few) to so many contestants that there is an incentive for members to upload recordings of little or no interest to the community, just for the sake of leaderboard points. (In violation of MARP Rule #2)
l) Submit only games that you feel are worthy of the notice of other MARPers, owing either to personal effort, or display of skill.
Buttermaker wrote:
LN2 wrote:Maybe they don't get that from the Olympics, but if you have an athlete from a country that only is able to send a few to the Olympics and that person gets 4th place they will likely be a hero in their home country....and get awards, metals etc. Just participating is often enough...
You just proved my point. If you have a great recording on 4th place you will be a hero (hehe) whether you get leaderboard points for it or not. Great recordings come to MARP because they're great and not because the uploader wants to move up the leaderboard.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Leaderboard Cut-Off: Discussion

Post by The TJT »

Weehawk wrote:.

Meaning that using 100% -85% -70% etc?

There was lots of discussion about changing those percents too...

for example 100-50-20
or
100-60-30-20-10

I don't like 100-85-70, because first place is something that should be rewarded, imho.

Otherwise I'm for giving only top 3 lb points(maybe top 5), if can not reach top3..then no pity points :) There are so many games to get at top 3places anyway.
Giving points for best 7 with currentformula would not change much, so many games there.

Will we have vote about cutoff point first, then vote about percentages awarded?

Thanks, TJT
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

5th or 7th place cutoff is fine, preferably 5th.
Darren