New Olympic-Standings style leaderboard

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Do you want a leaderboard in which members are ranked by first place recordings first, then by second places, etc..etc..?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:27 pm

Yes, let's settle this whole issure by implementing this simple system.
60%
No, lets continue with the process of deciding how leaderboard points are allocated.
40%

Total votes: 53

seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

John, from skimming some of the posts on this topic, it seems that a lot of the problems people have here are from you grouping two different options into on poll option. I'm sure there are people that didn't want an Olympic style leaderboard, but were also sick of the discussion about the leaderboard. There's no way in hell I'm going to read through 9 pages of this, though.

As much as I'd hate to prolong this crap, maybe you should consider a poll with the proper options. When you initiated all of this, I was expecting something better as it progressed. Obviously I was wrong.

I don't care about the leaderboard at all myself. Hell, I haven't even uploaded anything for a while. But this long series of polls and discussion doesn't really seem to have solved anything, nor gone with the actual wishes of the members of MARP.

Also, I don't want to have to bust out my Moderation Stick here, or be forced to read more than a few posts here because of it. So don't make me (not directed at anyone in particular).
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

seymour wrote:There's no way in hell I'm going to read through 9 pages of this, though.
Then there's no way in hell you're going to know what's going on.

And what's worse, the specific issue of this thread took up about half of the last thread.

And while I sympathize with how tiring it would be to read the whole discussion, try to sympathize with how tiring it is for me repeating myself over and over for the benefit of people who haven't been following everything closely enough.

But let me summarize the events that brought us here:

1) A good portion of the membership seemed to think that changes to the leaderboard system might be beneficial to MARP, so as Regulation Coordinator I embarked on a process to let the community decide what, if any, changes to make.

2) After open discussion, I thought I could probably orchestrate a single poll to pretty much decide the issue, but it would have been a little complicated, and at the suggestion of several members I decided to break the process down into a series of simpler steps.

3) At step one it was decided that we would continue to use a system where points are alloted based in part on a score's percentage of the highest score on the game, rather than a simpler system like the previous one where points are allocated simply by the placing 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc...

4) Step two would decide whether the points awarded would cut off after a certain place or not. We were almost through with this step when member Gavin Ward (SprintGod on the forum), suggested a system whereby the leaderboard would simply list players by the number of first places, then by the number of second places etc... Several members and Zwaxy himself were immediately smitten with this idea. I was not and suggested that since it would not be in accordance with the decision to award leaderboard points based on percentage of high score, that I would continue with the process already underway. Zwaxy replied: (and I will quote directly so as to make it clear exactly what was said and who it came from, and for the benefit of anyone just "skimming" the thread I will make it in large letters to increase the probability that they read it)
Zwaxy wrote:That vote was for "Do you prefer that the awarding of leaderboard points for a submission be based on percentage of the high score, or solely on place number?". The newly 'SprintGod' system proposes that we don't award leaderboard points at all, but merely sort by number of 1st places, then number of 2nd places, then number of 3rd places. This isn't a point based system, and nothing like it had been proposed at the time of the first poll. The first poll assumed we would be awarding leaderboard points. The community hasn't voted on whether we should award points or not.
"whether we should award points or not."...that's a yes or no question in my mind, only two options possible.

Now, I am only the Regulation Coordinator at MARP, and only for another 7 months and 26 days. Zwaxy is the owner. Under his name in the "Positions" section of the Election Procedure page it reads: "Rights: All, Responsibilities: All"...and so I proceeded in accordance with his wishes, and I've taken a lot of shit for it from people that don't know what they are talking about.

5) I made the last poll as per Zwaxy's suggestion and the community made it's decision. It's not what I would have chosen, but so be it.

And that's how we got where we stand now.
seymour wrote:As much as I'd hate to prolong this crap...
No chance of that. For the time being - it's over. :D
John Cunningham (JTC)
Moleboy
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Moleboy »

Weehawk wrote:
Moleboy wrote:if this new system is implimented
8O

Uh...it was implemented on April 18 when this poll ended.
Moleboy wrote:there would be no reason for me to ever upload an INP and therefore ever visit this site again
Adios.
That type of attitude isnt going to help anything now is it, I was merely expressing my opinion. Have some eyeball smileys at you. :roll: :roll:

Also the leaderboard I check and view is still like this though:
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Moleboy wrote:That type of attitude isnt going to help anything now is it, I was merely expressing my opinion.
No, you were suggesting that if the old leaderboard was gone (and I thought it was!) that you were history, and I was saying Happy Trails to you. What did you think someone would say? "Oh no!...Moleboy...please don't go!" Get real.
Moleboy wrote:Also the leaderboard I check and view is still like this though:
Hehe...that may be fixed soon, but that's up to Zwaxy.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

weehawk wrote:Hehe...that may be fixed soon, but that's up to Zwaxy.
...knock... knock.....
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Weehawk wrote:5) I made the last poll as per Zwaxy's suggestion and the community made it's decision. It's not what I would have chosen, but so be it.

And that's how we got where we stand now.
No..I think Seymour's point is based on the poll options, you really don't know the decision of the membership with regards to the leaderboard.

I think many voted for the olympic system not because they want that kind of system...but only because they want all these discussions to end.

The earlier poll results totally showed the membership in general didn't want an olympic style leaderboard, but wanted a percentage based points system with potentially additional limits like assigning points to only the top 3 or top 5 or top 7 places.

Based on this I think the results of this poll really are just many saying...end it already.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

The TJT wrote:
...knock... knock.....
http://weehawk.marpirc.net/ihyk.htm
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Zwaxy, we all are waiting you to do it! :lol:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

hehe, if the light blue shirt guy is zwaxy, then the rest must be in lr order.

me(dork), qrs(musically inclined), bbh(texas), hisa, mike myers, (a woman at marp?), richy cream(my main man), QT (mountie hat), zwaxy (looking at the crowd like who are all these people looking at my website?), Weehawk (raider of the omish ark), negative1(back in bowl), Donut(tails), Lagavulin, and barry(i'm sure i'm mixing up new zealand and austrailia there).
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:Weehawk (raider of the omish ark),
Okay, we're streeeeetching here.

BTW, what makes this sound:

Clip clop clip clop clip clop...BANG!

An Amish drive-by shooting.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Moleboy
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Moleboy »

The TJT wrote:
...knock... knock.....
I guess theres no hope in wishing there could be 2 leaderboards running concurrently, surely if its already set up though it can just self regulate in a little corner of this site.
Yours hopefully.
Moleboy.
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Moleboy wrote:I guess theres no hope in wishing there could be 2 leaderboards running concurrently
It kind of defies the point of having the leaderboard debate in the first place really. The decision has been made, it's been agreed that if we all feel it doesnt work we can always change it in the future.
Darren
Moleboy
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Moleboy »

True, true.

Fairy Nuff as they say.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

Last edited by tar on Wed May 19, 2004 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

DRN wrote:Let's not start the leaderboard debate all over again, the decision has been made.

http://marp.retrogames.com/olympic.txt

You'll need to copy and paste it into your browser for it to work.
I agree .