Golden Era Game of the Week 6/5/04: Zektor

Post by Weehawk »

Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Zektor

romname: zektor

Reward: $25 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: June 11, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounties: $100 (usd) for first place in T8, assuming it's not me (fat chance)
Edit: Claimed by TJT.

Comments: This one was named for T8 shortly after I got my spinner, so I started playing it. I like it, but it's going to be tough for anyone to compete on it without a spinner.

I actually wanted to do Pot-o-Gold first, but watching the recordings beings posted, I'm not sure that game is playing correctly for everyone. I'm seeing some weird stuff there.

I am hesitant on this one because it looks like it may already be a foregone conclusion, but maybe there is someone hiding in the shadows who can challenge. I'm definitely getting better, but still nowhere near the leader.
Last edited by Weehawk on Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Hehehe...I'm not sure I can top my 547k score for USD25 bounty. Had such strong feeling of "zone" during that game...I felt was allways on command and knowing where everything was flying and when they would shoot. Allmost felt that time slowed down :D

I averaged loosing 2 ships at hardest round, which is hard to do 9 rounds in a row, also didn't miss an extra ship/boss during all 16 bosses played...
Those "moboids" can be very nasty at times...Also if you get a setup at stage 3, where most enemies are those bouncing-type, not "searchers"...You're going to have hard time with shots coming from every direction and enemies bouncing around, mixed with fast "moboids", huh! 8O
You should allways avoid top portion of the screen, but that cannot be done all the time. So you get vulnerable for incoming moboids.

I like the game because of fast and hard gameplay, game is also random so there are no patterns to rely on...So have to improvise a lot. Having spinner for this hame is great...Spinner makes feel of control much better than at asteroids. Also those vector games fascinate me, they have a feeling of "true" videogame for me. Colour vector games are even better.
I really liked Vectrex minestorm in golden days...

My goal was to break 500k and am very happy I managed to do that, I guess I'm strong favourite for getting that USD100 T8 bounty with current top score...Anyway I hope all happy gaming.

I might have a go at blasteroids next :P

TJT, T8 Zektor judge
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Congrats TJT.

You are winner. 100+25 USD are your.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Congrats TJT.

You are winner. 100+25 USD are your.
Hehe...well, he'll have to beat himself for the $25

As for the $100...maybe there's another warrior out there somewhere...

John Cunningham (JTC)
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

If I had a spinner and maybe I could beat Tommi's score.

Can't play this game without spinner nor paddles. Oh well! Forget it.

Great score Tommi! Hopefully, you may go after those Eliminator's scores. They're very identical to Zektor or Space Fury.

Later,

NotMan
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Thx :oops:

I watched Tar's Space Fury and Eliminator inps. Space fury is distant relative to Zektor("so we meet again"), yet it doesn't use spinner and doesn't seem so interesting game to me. Not sure how much practice it would take to play semi-marathon. Anyway Tar's play looks quite solid.

Eliminator is kinda interesting game, but has kilomegagigatera leeching factor, just get into stage 5+ and get 500+ points from each shot at opponent(or 2-3 opponents), shoot opponent horizontally or vertically against the wall for several seconds...doing that with sixfingertechnique would get even faster points...

I wish there were somewhere a list of spinner games...hey, I'll make a thread about it ;)

TJT
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Yeah! I know that Eliminator use pts leeching factor on the earlier level , but it get harder after level 8. Also, it would be very interesting if somebody could manage pass level 20 and beyond.

I think that I have played 2 player cocktail Eliminator with the spinner, long time ago. Although, I may be wrong if my memory doesn't serve me right. :wink:

Space Fury use same control as Asteroid. No wonder I got messed up between Space Fury and Tac-Scan.

Later,

NotMan
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: SJK
2nd: Sampras
3rd: Sandman

Well....I don't think Tommi's hearing any footsteps here.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

:)

I'm too fascinated with wizwars right now to play anything else anyway...Each time I "just plays couple games"... I'll spend a long session with the game. Very addicting game. I think this game might have been a hit, if ever released. Atleast I can't get enough of the game right now, inserting "coin" after coin after...

Wizwars has perfect game concept: Tempest meets Robotron,even early levels are interesting...trying to get bonuses and save "zappers" for later rounds. Game gets quite hard quite soon and is a very good challenge.

It's also fun trying to figure out tactics in a game that I've NEVER seen anyone play! (would be nice to see if other players can figure out better tactics though, waiting for submissions...)

Stupid marketing weasels, for not putting this great game forward...
(sorry if you're a marketing weasel, I mean other weasels, not you :D )

All your zektor are belong to TJT
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The TJT wrote:All your zektor are belong to TJT
You're lucky BBH isn't around for next couple of days. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote:
The TJT wrote:All your zektor are belong to TJT
You're lucky BBH isn't around for next couple of days. :)
Why?

...He hates bad language? :P
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

He hates AYB references. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »