Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Jungleh

Post by NotMan »

Great score Gastrainga on Jungle Hunt.

My questions is that I don't think that is the right TG settings on Jungle Hunt. Although, I remember Jungle King very well. On the second or third loop, when you jump on the vine where the monkey (gorilla??) are standing. If you wait too long the monkey should move up and down to knock you off the vine. I remember that on Jungle King very well. I don't even remember that on Jungle Hunt does that too. Also, I may be wrong on Jungle Hunt which I didn't really like this version that much. I don't even remember Jungle Hunt was supposed to be easier than Jungle King just the same.

Later,

NotMan

P.S. Oh! I see that Mame .89 is out already.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Jungleh

Post by The TJT »

NotMan wrote:
P.S. Oh! I see that Mame .89 is out already.
Time to wonder once more which Sega games are more playable...
:?

Edit:
....Turbo outrun clones
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

notman wrote: the monkey should move up and down to knock you off the vine
yes
tjt wrote:Time to wonder once more

wonder why no new rom set :(
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Jungleh

Post by mahlemiut »

NotMan wrote:My questions is that I don't think that is the right TG settings on Jungle Hunt.
The settings he claims he used match those listed on Mark's webpages.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Jungle Hunt Regulation Play

Post by Zhorik »

I'm fairly sure the TG settings play the same as the original arcade factory settings for Jungle Hunt/King did. I played this game in the arcade to pretty high scores (400K+). The monkey (Jungle King) or gorilla (Jungle Hunt), does move up and down on the vine, but not once you are on the same vine as him. Actually if you stay on ANY vine for too long you fall off (see my 3rd death on the 317770 game). Also if you are too close to the monkey/gorilla when you jump off the vine you can hit him. I'm 99.9% sure this is the same behavior I saw in the arcades. Maybe there were some ROM sets in the arcades that played differently.

The TG settings vs. MAME defaults only seem to affect number of men (no extra at 10K on MAME defaults – so 4 men instead of 3 men) and scoring rate (no end of level bonus for time left on MAME defaults – so extra 6K or so per level finished). I don’t see any difference in actual game play between TG settings and MAME defaults. All of the Jungle Hunt clones (except Pirate Pete) seem to play identical with the only differences being graphics. I was actually planning on playing a game for the Jungle King rom set using MAME defaults in order to be playing one track (Jungle Hunt) at TG Settings and other track (Jungle King) at MAME defaults. I’ve played both dip switch settings past 100K on Jungle Hunt and am 100% sure the vine stage plays identical on both. The vines are completely patterned and the same patterns work on both.

If the consensus is that TG settings shouldn't be used for this game since they are easier than MAME defaults, I'm ok with that and will switch settings. I picked the TG settings since most of the scores already present say they used TG settings and since I'm fairly sure the TG settings match the arcade defaults. The MAME defaults are actually pretty stupid since they don't give you an extra man or any timer based end of level bonus. If there is a new Special Rule that only MAME defaults are allowed, then all existing TG setting scores on all the Jungle King clones should be zeroed.

- gastrainga
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Zhorik wrote
If the consensus is that TG settings shouldn't be used for this game since they are easier than MAME defaults, I'm ok with that and will switch settings. I picked the TG settings since most of the scores already present say they used TG settings and since I'm fairly sure the TG settings match the arcade defaults. The MAME defaults are actually pretty stupid since they don't give you an extra man or any timer based end of level bonus. If there is a new Special Rule that only MAME defaults are allowed, then all existing TG setting scores on all the Jungle King clones should be zeroed.
Yep! I'm aware of the Mame default vs TG settings. Look what happened to games like Galaga or DigDug where the Mame team changed default settings from time to time. I'll try to look up the early mame version of Jungle King if the dip switch was changed or not. There is no need to change nor added to the special rules.

I remember Jungle King first came out and the scoring was pretty identical as you played on Jungle Hunt. The game does give you the end of the timer bonus and increase difficulty for each loop you pass and you get one bonus life at 20k. I think the Mame dip switch is messed up or something.

Remember that Jungle King came out first then it changed to Jungle Hunt came later on, due the copyright infringement of Tarzan screaming in the beginning of the game, "AAWWWHOOOOOGGGGAAAAAAA.... *ack* *cough* cough* I'm coming for you, Jane!"

Aww! scratch the name of Jane... make it and call it Bo Derek! :lol:

NotMan
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

TG and mame defaults are excepted except if there's a special rule. Maybe there needs to be in this case just to level the playing field? tjt? I "sort" of kind "of" remember the monkey moving on the vines too but i also remember playing Jungle Hunt on a console system and I might be remembering that was the way it acted there and not in the arcade.
-skito
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Jungle Hunt MAME settings

Post by Zhorik »

Chad, In MAME the monkeys don't move up and down on the vines after you jump onto the same vine as them on EITHER TG settings or MAME defaults, in either Jungle Hunt (jungleh) or Jungle King (junglek). Unless one of the "Unknown" dip switches controls this, I don't think the actual arcade game does this. Standardizing on MAME defaults would just reduce your men by one and give you about 6K less per level. It would also invalidate most of the existing scores.

- gastrainga
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Umm...I think I'm not Regulation Coordinator(RC) yet.

Anyway, I might be starting a conversation and maybe a poll later, about changed mame default dip-switch settings. There could be also a need for TG vs mame default discussion. A bit same thing. Have to notice though that general rules are not wisdom that will solve everything...That's why we have game specific special rules, which kinda overrule general marp rules.
--------
Seems now(so far) that at this case, players do think that TG settings are how settings should be?...plus mame defaults make smaller scores, then there is no problem.
...And if nobody thinks he has been beaten unfair?
I think TG settings have "matured" already for this game :wink:
Standardizing on MAME defaults would just reduce your men by one and give you about 6K less per level. It would also invalidate most of the existing scores.

Of course special rules could be edited, that state TG settings are allowed...But if first place player says at his description what TG settings are, then I guess players can see it there too.

TJT
Last edited by The TJT on Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

should have said "accepted" not excepted, yeah then i must be remembering the way my apple // jungle hunt played, even then it's fuzzy. thanks for the recordings.
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I remember the monkey stopped moving once you are on the vine with him.... I guess I never stayed on it long enough to see if the monkey would start moving up/down again.

It makes sense he would...easy enough to test for....play a second to 2nd level...get on vine with monkey...just sit there for minutes....if possible.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

ln2 wrote:get on vine with monkey
or go on line with a group of monkeys
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

A diagram done in MS Paint, obviously :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer