Moderator: BBH

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Contra leeching

Post by The TJT »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... xlines=999
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/4/4/c/be ... wolf88.zip

Beatyplanets shows how to gain extra men faster than to loose them.
Marp rules disallow leeching. I don't think we need vote for zeroing this one, hehe.

Anyway might need special rules, or change dip switch settings -or something...Any ideas?

Or is it too late to change settings, and too many players leeching at this game, BBH's sarcastic quote:
BBH wrote:I screwed up the leeching, or something
maybe we'll just do as GB9 did before:
GB9 wrote:[Claimed 1,904,900 but is penalized 480,000 points for excessive leeching. GB9]
Here I remind editors of rules: "Any significant change in score in regulation mode must be followed with an E-mail to the regulation coordinator and the person affected by the score change"

Or maybe just delete/zero any recording with leeching, for consistency.
There might be problems to decide which is leeching and which is not.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Limit lives?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i think all other players are using non infinite leeching techniques, where they couldn't leech forever they just leech until time runs out (and haven't found the beauty planet spot, so they can't gain more lives by leeching) and then move on, but limiting lives would be a good thing.
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

got to draw a line somewhere...perhaps that the gamer always makes an effort to progress forward in the game.

Ok, so they can wait a tad for the special item thing(s)...but then beyond that must work on advancing to the next area.

Another idea, is to possibly base scoring on something else entirely....like points per stage cleared...with a bonus for each mother alien destroyed...if the game allows loops(the NES one does)...and other than that....base a final bonus on time to complete the game.

That would make it where there is no leeching...cuz the time wasted can result in more lost points versus those gained from the leeching.
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

My suggestion is to limit extra lives and allow the hardest settings only, seeing how short and easy this game is on default settings.
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

Like always.. infinite leeching=No competition.
And like often happen, limit lives will solve the problem!
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

There has been suggestions as limiting lives and playing with hardest settings. Also stages cleared scoring was mentioned.

Contra has 4 clones...so limiting lives would require quite a much work and editing scores...If same kind of leeching is possible at other romsets too? Unless we want to delete all scores for contra and clones, which I see as a very BAD option.
Chad wrote:i think all other players are using non infinite leeching techniques, where they couldn't leech forever they just leech until time runs out (and haven't found the beauty planet spot, so they can't gain more lives by leeching) and then move on
So it seems that there is not a problem, or is there?
This is a bit hard to try act as a middleman at this conversation, I'll just make a suggestion:

1. Since Beautyplanet's recording does infinite leeching, we'll zero it.
2. We carry on enforcing rule for this game, that there shall not be infinite leeching.

-------------
If you still want to limit lives for the game? ... I can make a vote on it, but I need to know:
1. Can infinite leeching be done at clone romsets
2. suggestions for number of lives
3. suggestions for difficulty
4. what would we do for ALL current scores
------------

Thanks, TJT
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

score zeroed, 2million pops up which i believe does not use the infinite sweet spot but haven't checked recently. you should have special rule modification abilities, do ye?
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I don't have special rules editing, or score editing rights, yet. Hopefully have later, that is up to editors decision I think. I PM'd QRS to remove contra, thundercade and argus scores and edit couple special rules...he's not yet read hes PM. If he's too busy, I'll spam you later ;)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

inp zeroed, special rules edited

Thanks, TJT