Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Future of GEGOTW

Post by diabolik »

John: I'm not sure if I understood correctly what the bot said at GEGOTW page (I listened to it three times). So is this going to be the last GEGOTW week here at MARP? Are we going to continue somewhere else?

Whats going on? Could you give a brief summary?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

This saddens me more than I can express in writing, but the Golden Era Game of the Week, as a personal challenge to encourage submissions to MARP, is ended.

The decision of the Tournament Coordinator to bar games used for these challenges puts me in a situation I cannot in good conscience accept. I will not be the cause of these games being excluded from MARP competitions, and I will not tolerate any blurring of the distinction that my challenges were not officially associated with or sanctioned by MARP in any way. I tried to make that clear from the start.

If the MARP administration does wish to take up and continue the activity in an official capacity, they are welcome. I will not make any complaint over the use of the name, etc..

I will be investigating ways to promote MAME play on the games of the Golden Era outside of MARP. Of course I will post news when it is available.

Please spare me any complaints or criticism. I begged not to be placed in this situation, and I think I can state with certainty that no one is saddened by this more than I am.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

huh? first you complain you don't want me to allow games from gegotw and now you are quiting it because i'm NOT allowing them? what the *** is going on? first I only desired to allow geogotw games in the main marp tournament, then got complaints about that so i decided to not allow them in the marp tournament voting, and now this, my decisions have NOTHING to do with the independent state of gegotw as it is.

First of All I ultimately respect gegotw, and will do anything to help you keep it going... not sure what the attitude your getting is from, i'm here to help...
-skito
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Chad wrote:huh? first you complain you don't want me to allow games from gegotw and now you are quiting it because i'm NOT allowing them? what the *** is going on? first I only desired to allow geogotw games in the main marp tournament, then got complaints about that so i decided to not allow them in the marp tournament voting, and now this, my decisions have NOTHING to do with the independent state of gegotw as it is.

First of All I ultimately respect gegotw, and will do anything to help you keep it going... not sure what the attitude your getting is from, i'm here to help...
Hmm Maybe it is me but when i read Johns two posts about allowing GEGOTW or not it sounded like he did not want them to be excluded from a MARP tourney. Maybe you have missunderstood eachother? Maybe you read it as he wanted it included in your list of games not allowed etc?

Oh and if you ask me there is no reason to exclude any game that has not been in an official MARP tourney.
QRS
Patwos
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Patwos »

Anders - I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Chad - John actually wanted his GEGOTW games expressly allowed in Marp Tournaments rather than banned. (Unless of course prior Marp Tournaments mean they are not allowed.)

John - Given that Chad appears to have misinterpreted your posting, I trust that means you'll keep GEGOTW going, especially given that Chad thought he was doing exactly what you wanted by banning them?

Cheers,
Pat.
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

From reading the posts in the other thread, I agree with Anders that this appears to be a misunderstanding. I sincerely hope that this can be corrected and that John will continue running the GEGOTW.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

I was planning to explain my situation and actions somewhat, but I think perhaps it would just lead to more argument and hard feelings, so I'm just going to drop it and move on.

I am locking the thread. May even delete it later.

The Golden Era Game of the Week will resume.
John Cunningham (JTC)