Golden Era Game of the Week 4/23/05: Mario Bros.

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Testing

Post by lippsman »

I did some testing on Medium today. Yeah, pretty slow day here in computerland. First of all, my timing is all screwed up where I've been playing at the hardest level. The time between when the B/G fireballs come out is about 4 seconds in the upper levels. So the trick of waiting a couple of ticks longer so both come out on the same level can not always be used. I think the overall play is slower though. I thought it was just a fireball thing. But, the pest don't seem to play as fast. Not a scientific test, but just what I noticed playing today. I'm sure someone out there will have exact stats. My biggest problem at first was not being aggresive enough. I keep forgetting the the fireballs took longer to come out.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Louie
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

I'd love to try this out. Great game (and as someone said better playing 2-player), but no time!

Nice choice for the weeks game John.

I wonder how Bubble Bobble would fair in this?? (was that a hint?)

Cheers,

AL

p.s Perry Rodgers got his WR on what settings?
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

You wanna see Ricks (LN2) recordings?

Well I guess you'd better buy a MAC. Or you can join the MAC-Cheaters fan club.

Or indeed, take a gamers knowledge as proof enough. I do in this case, and others. But thats just me.......

Cheers,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tuesday's bonus points also to MJS.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

MJS again for Thursday.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: Louie
2nd: MJS
3rd: destructor@HotTeam.pl

Hats off to gastrainga, who sponsored this week and unofficially kicked everyone's ass as well!

Also, again a job well done to Tech-D, who scored higher than anyone other than gastrainga, but is not running WolfMAME, as he is using a MAC. Borrow a PC, buddy! :)

Congratulations to Louie in his first GEGOTW entry.

All 6 bonus points went to MJS, for a total of 13.

PM me with your Paypal address, Louie.
John Cunningham (JTC)
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

OUCH!!!

I'll be back 8)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Thanks to all of the competitors this week! To echo Tech-D.jp, I genuinely enjoyed this.

Props go out to Louie for his winning score. His inp is a lot of fun to watch, knowing that he needs to beat 188K. He lets things get out of control on Phase 14, then pulls through without dying, only to die in an easy situation on Phase 16. Later he uses his POWs early to get out of dangerous situations, but ends up out of POWs, and still needing to close the gap on MJS. He JUST manages to do this. Very scrappy play. Louie, I can only imagine your heart was pounding there at the end.

Props also to Tech-D.jp for the nice score. What phase did you reach? Are you sure you don't want to buy a cheap PC? You would probably earn your money back on GEGOTW before the end of the year.

Finally, don't forget that the further bounty is still available until 7/31.

-gastrainga
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Heart pounding play

Post by lippsman »

You're correct. I was playing to beat the score. Not just to play correctly. We all know this is a sure way to death. And it almost cost me. Something funny happened, well it's funny now but not when it happened. After I uploaded the 191 score. The very next game, I shot 241,000. Went to play the INP back and out of habit, clicked on play and record instead of playback!!!!! Yep, wrote over the 241 score. BTW, very nice play by you. I made sure not to watch your INP till after the deadline. I always want to make sure I'm not tainted by another INP.

As I said early in this thread. This is really a pattern type game. I need to do a save state at phase 15 to practice. What kind of control are you using? I'm wondering, because of the little half jumps you did on the game. Jumping on the POW. You have to be using a leaf switch. My push button switch is all or nothing. That is a huge advantage, being able to do that.

Thanks for sponsoring the prize.

Louie
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Louie, I'm using the competitive controller of choice of most Eastern Europeans, the K-BRD (I use the 104 model). This state of the art controller has more programmable buttons than any other controller I've ever seen, and the buttons come in a variety of sizes which is great for customizing your layout to your ergonomic preferences. Another bonus is that they are compatible with almost 100% of the systems out there.

I'm a bit hesitant to even admit that I used this controller, since I suspect they give such an advantage that they are on the verge of being outlawed here on MARP altogether.

I did try my "half jumps" (I call them "walk jumps") out with a gamepad, and they are easy for me to do with either the gamepad control or the analog joystick. The trick is that you nudge the joystick first and let it go and then jump immediately after you let go. In addition to being useful for doing these short jumps, it’s also a great way to drop down levels since it minimizes your exposure.

I agree that the game is semi-patterned. There are actually more variations of pest movement then just mirrored though. For example the second set of pests sometime both come out of the same pipe instead of different pipes. I'm also fairly certain the icicle formation is random, and that the red fireball and slipice generation is may be random also. The red fireball movement and icicle formation continue to make subtle changes past phase 100. These elements make you improvise quite often. I don't run set patterns for all pest generation variations (except usually on the turtle/firefly boards). I can come close to set patterns on default settings, but not on Hardest.

-gastrainga
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Just a reminder that the further bounty for Mario Bros. expires at the end of this month.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Zhorik wrote:Just a reminder that the further bounty for Mario Bros. expires at the end of this month.
And Moon Patrol too :(
sampras
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by sampras »

what's your max score in MP DES?

Ciao
Sampras
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

sampras wrote:what's your max score in MP DES?

Ciao
Sampras
Moon Patrol (Williams) = 500k, but last 4-5 weeks I don't play too much (almost null). And in almost all plays I lost lives by stupid mistakes in easy points, not in hard points :?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Offtopic about Mario.
Look this, hehe:
http://www.xgaming.com/newsletter/augus ... arioBrosMX