Desert Gun

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Desert Gun

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!

I can't playback this recording:

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/0/e/f/ra ... wolf75.zip

(Rank #14 submitted by Ray Atkinson)

I downloaded the MAME version that's linked to it (advertised as Wolfmame 0.75) and tried playback both with default settings and with setting "Frame Skipping" to "Draw every Frame" as suggested in the games special rules.

The game doesn't even start via playback option, while it plays fine when starting it normal.

What am I doing wrong?

Greetings,
Manuel
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i can't play this back either. it gets interpreted as a NON wolf recording by wolfmame, even though on closer inspection the header appears like it is a wolfmame recording. diabolik's wolf 76 playsback fine.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... xlines=999
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

It was recorded with WolfMAME .71, but I can't get it to play back correctly.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

policy if 3 people can't get it to playback it gets zeroed until 2 people (besides the recorder) can play it back and tell how here. It was recorded with -m68k_c_core but i still can't find a way to play it back so it gets z-ed.
-skito
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!

Aha, so I can give up trying this one. Thanks for confirming! :)

Greetings,
Manuel
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!

I'm sorry... same game, next problem...

The next higher Desert Gun recording won't playback for me either:

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/4/2/8/jd ... _m37b4.zip

(Rank #13 submitted by J.D. Lowe)

Again I downloaded the linked MAME version and the commandlines I'm trying are:

m37b4 desertgu -playback desertgu
m37b4 desertgu -frameskip 0 -playback desertgu

Well, the game starts both times, but all I get to see is some random jumps of the crosshair.

Greetings,
Manuel
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!

Just *bumping* this, since I think my last message probably went unnoticed :)

Greetings,
Manuel
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Cybergoth wrote:Just *bumping* this, since I think my last message probably went unnoticed
Why do you think that? Because no one responded in 15 hours?

Bear in mind you're asking about a 13th place score recorded in a MAME version so old most people won't even have it on their computers, and most XP users won't be able to run anyway. It's probably not a real high priority for anyone.

Also, only one topic had been made since you posted that, so it wasn't exactly buried or anything.

Just FYI.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!
Weehawk wrote:
Cybergoth wrote:Just *bumping* this, since I think my last message probably went unnoticed
Why do you think that? Because no one responded in 15 hours?
No. Because I first said that everything is fine and then I used the same topic for the next report, so I wasn't sure if it'd be just ignored by most, thinking that I just edited my message or it was still about the first report or something.
Weehawk wrote:Bear in mind you're asking about a 13th place score recorded in a MAME version so old most people won't even have it on their computers, and most XP users won't be able to run anyway. It's probably not a real high priority for anyone.
Uh, well... I'm playing the game right now and I tend to look at the recording right above mine to see if I can learn a few new tricks to lift me just a little higher. The Desert Gun recordings I tried so far didn't work for me and reporting that is what this forum is for, right?

I thought it'd be helpful or do you really want to have a database full of garbage recordings here?

Greetings,
Manuel
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Cybergoth wrote:I thought it'd be helpful or do you really want to have a database full of garbage recordings here?
No clue why you're asking this either. My response had nothing to do with your reporting a playback problem.
Weehawk wrote:Just FYI.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!
Weehawk wrote:
Cybergoth wrote:I thought it'd be helpful or do you really want to have a database full of garbage recordings here?
No clue why you're asking this either. My response had nothing to do with your reporting a playback problem.
You sounded as if reporting didn't really matter as the recording in question was only a 13th place.

Greetings,
Manuel
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Cybergoth wrote:You sounded as if reporting didn't really matter as the recording in question was only a 13th place.
"Low priority" is what I wrote, and only partly because it's a 13th place recording.

Also, it occurs to me, the awesome irony that you're very probably talking to the only person that has confirmed a MAME .37b4 recording in the last couple of years.

Code: Select all

Mon May 31 23:22:33 2004 : John Cunningham (jtc) confirmed the schaser score of 28300 by Ocean View (jv)
:lol:
John Cunningham (JTC)
Cybergoth
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Cybergoth »

Hi there!
Weehawk wrote:
Cybergoth wrote:You sounded as if reporting didn't really matter as the recording in question was only a 13th place.
"Low priority" is what I wrote, and only partly because it's a 13th place recording.
I understand. Well, I've beaten that score by now, so it's no longer that important to see it for me either. But it should still be checked some time.
Weehawk wrote:Also, it occurs to me, the awesome irony that you're very probably talking to the only person that has confirmed a MAME .37b4 recording in the last couple of years.
Fine! So do you still have it ready? ;)

Greetings,
Manuel
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Cybergoth wrote:Hi there!
Weehawk wrote:
I understand. Well, I've beaten that score by now, so it's no longer that important to see it for me either. But it should still be checked some time.
Weehawk wrote:Also, it occurs to me, the awesome irony that you're very probably talking to the only person that has confirmed a MAME .37b4 recording in the last couple of years.
Fine! So do you still have it ready? ;)

Greetings,
Manuel
Only on my old computer.

I'd have to hook it up to a phone line or transfer the inp file with a floppy.

Maybe later.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Or you could set up a cheap-ass network. Two NICs and a crossover cable. Although I've had more issues with WinMe reading network drives, Linux was much better. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer