Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Possibility of leeching in botanic

Post by sawys »

Hi !

When barry (a new marp's member) made his first score, i watched his inp and noticed he played normally.

I played this game to improve my score and found a way to leech in each level because there is no timer.

I posted a new inp without using this tactic and reached the round 5.

But today, barry posted a new inp reaching only round 3 and using a long time to leech in the 1st round.

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/9/f/4/bg ... mame97.zip

I wanted to know if this is allowed at marp ?

If the answer is yes or if nothing is done, then i will use this infinite leeching to improve my score...
Like the best players on marp could do (i think to diabolik and the looping's inp :wink: )

EDIT : I forgot one thing, can an editor write to barry to tell him to use a secured version of mame ?
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Sawys,
Barry doesn't have email listed.
I was hoping he'd read this. Maybe you should include this thread in your submission description.

If he doesn't, I feel it would be according to marp rules to remove leeching inps.
I suggest you wait still couple days if he happens to read this, if he doesn't you could pm for example Chad to remove a recording that uses leeching. That's what editors are for.
I can't think myself any better special rule than general marp rules says already, hehe.

Barry,
MARP has a rule against "points leeching", because most of us feel it doesn't show true playing skill.

At MARP rules page reads:

Code: Select all

Point or life leeching is strongly discouraged, and banned on some games, as described in the banned techniques list, or in the specific game's special rules. You cannot continuously gain points without some degree of risk and you must keep moving to complete a level.
1.(you can use edit button to change "leeching score" to 0, or delete it by changing romname to "deleted")
also:

Code: Select all

Use of Wolf- or TGMAME is preferred.
2. You can find Wolfmame at http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/
Also latest Wolfmame releases are linked at marp news page.

Anyways, besides my "duty" to inform about rules, I hope you best of time and fun competiotion at MARP :)
Last edited by The TJT on Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Hi :)

If you watch my new inp, i made a score like him and am waiting for an answer after the text i put in the description box
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Here was Barry's reply, edited at submission description:
i thought leeching is more directed at a constant patern or loop in any video game , the ability to continue patern or loop for a very long time without dying , in my case im merley jacking up scores as Sawys@jvrm.net will tell you , there is no clock , but still at risk of lossing life during whole so called leeching process. the joy of classic video games , lol
...Well...

Yes, there is no timer in this game...That's exactly why we need rules against leeching at MARP. ;)
We have discussed this alot before, just read some previous threads, as Time Pilot

If you watch http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/a/1/1/sa ... wolf99.zip
You will see that a good player might be able to leech infinitely without trying to complete a level, which is against general leeching rules.
You didn't try to complete a level at your latest inp...and leeching at first screen before moving ahead doesn't make it any different, just reversed timewise.

I will ask an editor to remove these inps, and would also hope you would use Wolfmame.