Axis flipping...how?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

ROTJ

Post by The TJT »

JEDI:
welby1 wrote:, but he(MDA) thinks the scores were done on 3 lives and easy. The manual I have does show default settings to be: 5lives, 40k extra and medium difficulty. I've got my game set on medium 30k extra and 3lives to start. MAME menu doesn't allow dips to be changed and 3lives starting; not sure on the others.
As I said, at mame you must access service mode to change dips. Mame default is easy,3, no extras...same as TG claims.

Probably mamedevs+TG+MDA are wrong there, since MDB has the manual. I haven't found manual on interweb. That would also mean that TG records are probably played on settings mentioned in the manual(5+40k). Simple math should confirm this, because a finished game has less points than TG records. You can get more points if you have more men, since you can kill your ship at last trench and start final stage from the beginning again, which makes 100k+ a round.
Finishing bonus is 100k, which you can get only once when the game is finished in the end of stage 8.
I do not know what is the difference in gameplay between easy and medium. I can tell you that "Easy" doesn't live up to it's name.

So there's a big difference for getting 5 lives and EXTRAS every 40k. Finishing the game is very hard on mame settings, not that the game would ever be very easy, trench is really really hard at later stages.

To my recollection, if set on extras you will get extras every XX,000 untill you reach million. After million you don't get extras. You don't get extra ships from level selection bonus of 600k.
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

You are correct. I called MDA, and he says even if he was tortured, wouldn't be able to recall if 3/5 at the contest. I just assumed(wrongly evidently) that ROTJ just kept on going like the others; didn't know there was an ending to it. Another assumption is that the factory settings for the upright are the same as the cockpit...I'll stick with this for now. MDA is planning on hosting pdf's of manuals eventually, which will be available for easy reference in one place. This game would've been much better with a first person perspective, as it's hard to line up with a hole without seeing the perimeter of the hole.

Hack status: I've made all the connections(temporary twist), and gave it a quick test. Results are not so good(hopefully just the connections giving trouble). I can go right/left just fine, but no fire from either button and the biggie not being able to go up. Control allows some up motion, but only about 1/8 of the screen. I accidentally pulled off one of the connecting rings from the pcb(back side only), which is also the center connection for the up/down pot. I can probably work that one out with some silver paste, but baffled on the lack of fire ability...guess I could play one handed and use keyboard for fire :lol: I'm going to work on it some more and try to get the kinks out.
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

Ok, even crossing the wires directly for firing does nothing, so I must need to re-map some buttons. How do I do that? The menu that appears to be needed for this is 'greyed out'.

I found the problem with the up/down, but will have to fix a damaged trace/connection point on the pcb. I hope radioshack still sells paste.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

I'm trying to work out my schedule to go; no thanks to the tax man
You are American? There is no law requiring you to pay income tax.
See here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... to+fascism

The ex-head of the IRS schmuck is full of it.....

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

welby1 wrote:Ok, even crossing the wires directly for firing does nothing, so I must need to re-map some buttons. How do I do that? The menu that appears to be needed for this is 'greyed out'.
What menu, where?

Have you installed Dual Strike software from the CD? It's for win98 but works at XP too, although letter-symbols are replaced by random symbols. I think buttons on mine did work before installing software. With software you can test if buttons work in Windows at all, if they work on Win -they'll work on mame too. With software you can use DS as a mouse and change buttons and analog settings.
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

The menu in the gui with the box of joystick options...aren't clickable.
I didn't install any softwafe for the dualstrike...just plugged it in, and xp said it was now installed. I'll look around and see if I can find the cd that came with it(bought it 2 years ago), but it worked before I hacked it, but it does mention in the hack guide that some buttons may need to be reprogrammed.

Al: I wouldn't want to put that to the test. Self employement tax sucks. Social security tax sucks even more...considering it'll be gone before I ever get to collect. I'd rather owe than make less money, but this time it caught me off guard.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

Al: I wouldn't want to put that to the test

That's ok, you don't need to. All cases that have gone to your Supreme Court have ruled in favour of the 'defendant' with a simple argument: Show the law that requires me to pay income tax? The prosecution are unable to do so, because they can't find the law, because there isn't one.

Good luck with the SW hack. I'm interested here cos I'd give my left arm to be able to play S.T.UN. Runner properly again.

Cheers.

AL - 72 Speed Boosts.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: re...

Post by The TJT »

AL wrote:I'm interested here cos I'd give my left arm to be able to play S.T.UN. Runner properly again.
Youre lucky, I have two already. No need for extras.

Here are instructions:
http://1uparcade.robandmitsue.com/proje ... trike.html
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

You have two left arms? That might explain some things :lol:

Thanks for the link.

AL
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Haha, I was wondering if someone would notice that...
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

Hey, if you've got a spare, I'd buy it. All I'd need is the pcb with leader wires...but I'll try to fix this one first; a spare is always nice.

I've toyed with the idea of MAMEing my ROTJ cockpit, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Ironically, this yoke is from a Stun Runner. I never played it much, but thought it was a cool game. Might even have to figure out daphne for firefox if I get this working well.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

PM sent re:Daphne

AL (Super Don)
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Axis flipping...how?