*jrpacman-fast

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: *jrpacman-fast

Post by negative1 »

a few other things.. if you want to watch the 'slow' - normal
version high score replay..
(mame 35b13 version)

in order to get this working.. you need to 'fix' the roms..

rename jrprom.5s to pacman.spr (i think this is the sound?)

rename jrprom.9e, 9f, 9p
to -> jrpacman.9e, 9f, 9p

you'll get some error messages.. but ignore them..

it'll run fine, the sound will be off (scratchy).. but it works fine..

i'm using the latest version of DOSBOX to run mame in a window under
vista... it works fine since it emulates sound blaster card, and video..

good for learning techniques..

later
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

negative1 wrote:i'm using the latest version of DOSBOX to run mame in a window under
You may be the first person I've heard report a means to run old DOS-based MAME versions on a Vista or XP machine.

Might be worth posting separately in the General forum about this program.

I still keep a Windows 95 machine tucked away in a closet in case I ever absolutely must see an old recording.
John Cunningham (JTC)
negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by negative1 »

Weehawk wrote:
negative1 wrote:i'm using the latest version of DOSBOX to run mame in a window under
You may be the first person I've heard report a means to run old DOS-based MAME versions on a Vista or XP machine.

Might be worth posting separately in the General forum about this program.

I still keep a Windows 95 machine tucked away in a closet in case I ever absolutely must see an old recording.
ouch.. yeah, i have some old computers around with old os'es..

but i put up a pointer topic under general:
-------
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14631

hope it helps..

let me know if something doesn't work...

later
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

I installed Windows 98 into a VirtualPC for this purpose, although I do still have an actual machine with it too just in case. I should make a Windows 95 one, too.
negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by negative1 »

dbh wrote:
I installed Windows 98 into a VirtualPC for this purpose, although I do still have an actual machine with it too just in case. I should make a Windows 95 one, too.
that was the first thing i tried..

but maybe (since i had the free version).. it would not let me
point to my physical drives, so i had no way to access
the directories/games/roms that i had set up..

oh, and thanx for all the great replays don!! i just watched the 1.7million in centipede!!! (sped up at parts)..
i wish i could use savestates, and practice the upper levels.. you seem to be on a tear the last couple of
years with some unbelievable high scores!! i haven't touched any games in about 8 years or so..but i have
the bug again..

you should check out the centipede/millipede clones.there's a lot more out there that could use high scores,
mine aren't that great anymore...i'm getting used to a trackball now..no more mouse.. or maybe my
reflexes aren't that great anymore...

later
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

but maybe (since i had the free version).. it would not let me
point to my physical drives, so i had no way to access
the directories/games/roms that i had set up..
I'm not sure if VirtualPC lets you directly access the physical drives. The way I have it set up, I copy only the MAME pieces I need into the VirtualPC environment. It would be nice if it could access the machine's physical drive, though!
oh, and thanx for all the great replays don!! i just watched the 1.7million in centipede!!! (sped up at parts)..
i wish i could use savestates, and practice the upper levels.. you seem to be on a tear the last couple of
years with some unbelievable high scores!! i haven't touched any games in about 8 years or so..but i have
the bug again..
you should check out the centipede/millipede clones.there's a lot more out there that could use high scores,
mine aren't that great anymore...i'm getting used to a trackball now..no more mouse.. or maybe my
reflexes aren't that great anymore...
Yea, I should...just need to find the time to get around to it :)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

dbh wrote:I'm not sure if VirtualPC lets you directly access the physical drives. The way I have it set up, I copy only the MAME pieces I need into the VirtualPC environment. It would be nice if it could access the machine's physical drive, though!
Not sure if it can be done directly, but in VMWare and VirtualBox, you can set up network shares to access files on the host or another networked system. I've never used VirtualPC, but I'd figure that it'd have the same feature.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

I wonder why a true turbo Jr Pac hasn't been added to MAME yet? There's definitely a ROM out there for it, I know of at least 4 machines that have it. If it's a 2700 series EPROM, I might be able to dump one from a friend of mine's board.