R-Type replay

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

LastNinja2
Button Masher
Button Masher

R-Type replay

Post by LastNinja2 »

Phantomas' replay is actually listed in the parent R-Type (World) list while it shoud be in the R-Type (Japan) list, as it's been realised using WolfMAME 0.106 and the parent game at the time was the japanese version.
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: R-Type replay

Post by ZID »

LastNinja2 wrote:Phantomas' replay is actually listed in the parent R-Type (World) list while it shoud be in the R-Type (Japan) list, as it's been realised using WolfMAME 0.106 and the parent game at the time was the japanese version.
But his INP is rtype.inp. It's normal?
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

It's normal. It is due to the rename of romsets that MAMEDev sometimes apply in new releases.
They have some reasons, to do that. The primary mission of MAME is to preserve old games, updating the situation to the latest known things. So renaming a romset is not a problem, because all the project should be kept up-to-date.
When your wish is playing old games.

But for MARP's database this is a terrible thing. #-o
When we use an old WolfMAME version (even if accepted and standardized like the 0.106) we have to submit the replay with the latest name that romset has got, because MARP's database is kept updated to the latest MAME version, and to its romsets' names.
If you think this is a confusing thing, you are completely right :wink:

Some kind of correlation to the new and old names should be implemented, but I know it would be a big-big change.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Input moved, special rule added
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I don't think this would be a big change, we just have to get the data and keep track of the games per version like other sites do, and it should allow uploads for the old version names and automatically rename the game based upon the version used.

I'll talk to zwaxy about this, but we need data. This data is almost impossible to get from just listing gamenames for each version of mame (you have to compare rom crcs to know wether a game changed names), but maws has this data. But if we had this data and got a new table each version:

GameName,Version,CurrentGameName

Each upload could easily lookup the version and gamename and change it to the Currentgame name. This table could also allow us to list the gamename used for the version as well as listing the current gamename for the latest version of mame per listing.

Phil do you know anyone at maws that would be willing to give us (marp) a table of data such as described every release?
-skito
Phantomas
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Phantomas »

Hello

Sorry, my English is not good.
I feel the confusion I thought the ROM was the world since his name was listed as world RTYPE.

If you are correct accept the decision although I can not understand.

Regards
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I think you did understand a little bit for what they are saying. And that is a confusing concept! You were right the ROM name was rtype for wolf106. But, mame changes roms to different names as mame makes new versions. So what is rtype in wolf106, it might be rtypej in wolf137 (which is what marp uses, the latest name for the latest mame version). So marp moves these games played under the same ROM but different names will all be in the same marp game competition.
-skito
Phantomas
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Phantomas »

Thanks for your reply I understand, it's my fault for not checking the rom that was the move the tournament against Italy, Japan version. I mistook the name of the rom ...

The next time will be more careful because I am inexperienced in MARP.

Thank you very much
Regards!!
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

No problem, Phantomas, this a current mistake, even for more confirmed Marpers
Chad wrote:Phil do you know anyone at maws that would be willing to give us (marp) a table of data such as described every release?
No, Chad, sorry
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

As far as I am aware, MAWS just uses data output via MAME's -listxml function.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

AntiPisa from Italy has a project that could be useful to us.
http://www.progettosnaps.net/renset.html

The RAR archive contains a "complete" list of renamed romset. Actually, he writes that it's 60% complete, but it seems that he updates at least the latest versions. I may ask him if he will complete his work, and if we can rely on his table
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I think the data can be scripted from -listxml, but you'd have to measure crc comparisons/least amount of changes, which is a pretty fuzzy algorithm. Games could stay identical rom wise and it would be easy for listxml to spot size1,crc1,size2,crc2 identical comparisons, but i'm sure there are versions where the romnames move AND the roms change so you'd have to match size1,crc1,size2,crc2 to size1,crc1,size2,crc2,size3,crc3 or worse size1,crc1,size3,crc3 might be the closes rom wize: not a straightforward algorithm. Which is why i think someone at maws makes the decision which rom goes where. Or has an inside track before the names get moved which rom belong-ed with which newname.
-skito