Saturday Night Slam Masters

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

LastNinja2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Saturday Night Slam Masters

Post by LastNinja2 »

I've uploaded my Single Match replay, thanks a lot! :)

I've also noticed that the description shows [Single Match] twice; it should be corrected :wink:
Q. T. Quazar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Q. T. Quazar »

I side with unstarring them... having watched Sportsdude's (!!!) replays, it's pretty clear to me this is a separate game style from the 'single-player match' that should still be permitted under regular rules.

Yes, there is a CPU player on your side, but so what? Many sports games use CPU assisted play due to their nature; a number of other games--particularly shmups--also feature CPU assisted 'teammates'. All CPU players are active in this game--not standing still/inactive. The 2p rule, as I recall our original discussions (10 years ago), had to do with archiving/banning situations where the game had to be played by more than one player because otherwise a teammate or opponent would be inactive.

More importantly, in this game, you do not score any points for anything your CPU partner does in the match, so your point accumulation is still entirely dependent on your own skill.

Certainly not a game i'll be playing any time soon, but I think it should be unstarred.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Q. T. Quazar wrote: More importantly, in this game, you do not score any points for anything your CPU partner does in the match, so your point accumulation is still entirely dependent on your own skill.
Q.T., I have to agree with you here. Since the CPU is always active and not contributing in any way to your scoring, it's an OK exception to the 2p rule.

I've unarchived the Team Battle scores, so we now have for your gaming pleasure...

slammast-sm "Saturday Night Slam Masters (World 930713) [Single Match]"
slammast-tb "Saturday Night Slam Masters (World 930713) [Team Battle]"
slammastu-sm "Saturday Night Slam Masters (USA 930713) [Single Match]"
slammastu-tb "Saturday Night Slam Masters (USA 930713) [Team Battle]"

mbomberj-sm "Muscle Bomber: The Body Explosion (Japan 930713) [Single Match]"
mbomberj-tb "Muscle Bomber: The Body Explosion (Japan 930713) [Team Battle]"
mbombrd-sm "Muscle Bomber Duo: Ultimate Team Battle (World 931206) [Single Match]"
mbombrd-tb "Muscle Bomber Duo: Ultimate Team Battle (World 931206) [Team Battle]"
mbombrdj-sm "Muscle Bomber Duo: Heat Up Warriors (Japan 931206) [Single Match]"
mbombrdj-tb "Muscle Bomber Duo: Heat Up Warriors (Japan 931206) [Team Battle]"
Q. T. Quazar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Q. T. Quazar »

actually, i think there's a better debate here about whether the two game styles are fundamentally different enough to warrant a split... but i digress; not that important. thanks, Pat.
Q. T. Quazar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Q. T. Quazar »

and am i totally missing sth, or does Muscle Bomber Duo and clones not even have a single match mode?

SNSM gives you the choice at the start... do you have to flip a dip in MBD, or is it even present? i don't have the .139 so can't check at the moment.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Muscle Bomber Duo is a sequel (of sorts) to Saturday Night Slam Masters / Muscle Bomber. Not exactly the same game, although with only 5 months between releases, it's not like they made massive changes.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Q. T. Quazar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Q. T. Quazar »

mahlemiut wrote:Muscle Bomber Duo is a sequel (of sorts) to Saturday Night Slam Masters / Muscle Bomber. Not exactly the same game, although with only 5 months between releases, it's not like they made massive changes.
yes, but not my point. after reviewing Sportsdude's Muscle Bomber Duo, currently listed under 'Single Match', i realized--after the fact--it's actually Team Battle/Battle Royale he's playing. so i went and tried Muscle Bomber Duo on 37b10 (or b5, i forget) and there was no option for 'Single Match'--it takes you straightinto battle royale/team battle. There WAS an option for Battle Royale OR Single Match on Saturday Night Slam Masters. hence my last post--i didn't have a chance to check the dips to see if this was a regional thing like the Magical Drop games, or whether this was a mistaken split right from the beginning--and, as i said, i ddin't have a chance to check in .139 since i'm missing the you know whats.

edit: i'm at work now so can't check until i get home
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The word "Duo" in the title does kinda suggest that there is no single match... :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

mahlemiut wrote:The word "Duo" in the title does kinda suggest that there is no single match... :)
Yup, hence no longer a clone of Slam Masters. Muscle Bomber Duo was made a parent set when m125 was released.

The series goes like this...
1. Muscle Bomber - The Body Explosion (1993)
2. Muscle Bomber Duo - Heat Up Warriors (1993)
3. Super Muscle Bomber - The International Blowout (1994)

My take is that Muscle Bomber retains the split and Muscle Bomber Duo drops the split as it just goes straight into Team Battle.

I'll let one of you verify with something newer.
Q. T. Quazar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Q. T. Quazar »

ok, so after checking... i think i have this right

one grouping is:

slammast-tb is still archived -- needs to be unarchived
slammast-sm is unarchived -- fine, but no-one has submitted scores for it
slammastu-tb is not archived -- it's fine as is
slammastu-sm is unarchived -- fine, but no one has submitted scores for it
mbomberj-tb is unarchived -- fine
smbomberj-sm is unarchived -- fine

the other grouping is:

mbomberd-tb -- fine
mbomberd-sm -- sm does not exist in this game
mbomberdj-tb -- fine
mbomberdj-sm -- sm does not exist in this game

consequently, mbomberd and mbomberdj can simply be unsplit, reverting back to their base names, since there's only the one game option.

as pointed out by you guys in the previous posts, Muscle Bomber Duo is actually a later game, not a childset of SlamMasters/Muscle Bomber

i've readjusted scores and confirmations to reflect this info--there was a number of uploading and confirming mistakes. everything should be in place for you to make the adjustments, Pat. :)
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Should be all fixed now. Thanks for looking into it!