K8 - Round 6 - Pipe Dream (pipedrmj)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: K8 - Round 6 - Pipe Dream (pipedrmj)

Post by shoesama »

The king of lamer - winner of K8
shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by shoesama »

Hmm I wonder what games I should play.
Attachments
salamand_359400_wolf99.zip
wtf solar flares
(29.68 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

Please stop with this stupid spam, ok?

After a hard work to organize this tournament, this end is not very good for my K8.
shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by shoesama »

What game do you want to see me play then?

I'm already done with Pipe Dream
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

franco.benedetti wrote:
shoesama wrote: ...stinking italians...
i am not uploading inps, posting on forums, and in general participating in marp because of this kind of people
have fun with re-born tk2007
Wow, this is a really bad attitude to have. Everyone is here at MARP for one reason - because we love classic arcade games. You should never let the actions of anyone here dilute your enjoyment of recording and watching replays of arcade games. And nobody is anywhere near as bad as TK2007, sorry.

shoe, you may be my TCACTRM teammate and all but you really need to knock this off. Although I've obviously had my frustrations with some of the games chosen, coordinators will never be able to choose games that please everyone, it's an impossible job. I appreciate their efforts in putting on K8 because I know it's not easy. Also, I never agreed on the whole Space Bomber thing... I originally thought it would be funny because Turbo Force was kind of stressing me out, and then World Rally... but I never said I was going to do that for sure. Either way, you're really rubbing a lot of people around here the wrong way which I don't think is a great thing to do in a small community such as this.

That said, I regret to say that because of things that have just come up in my life, I won't have that much time for playing anything this week. Which is fine because quite honestly I'd have zero interest in even attempting to learn to play Pipe Dream in the first place, so you can consider this a forfeit. My apologies to RedStar, for he would have made a much better participant in the finals. Congratulations to shoe for winning K8.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

I feel like ripped off right now. Presumably I've lost two months in playing videogames that MAME and MESS community could have benefitted for more developing from my side if I only knew of this farce ending.
I'm also suspecting that you were going to "find the time" if I was on the finals, but oh well. :roll:

"Congrats" to the king of lamer for winning K8 anyway.
shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by shoesama »

Well now that it's more or less over, I guess I'll just say that I'm sorry for any grief caused during the last week or so of K8.

I thought Pipe Dream would be easy for me at first, but I don't have the stages memorized well enough to do them before time runs out. It's basically unplayable unless you spend hours memorizing each stage, and hopefully develop the skill of learning how to stare at the next piece display along the way.

The other games had their own problems, but they were easy to ignore. I didn't think I'd do as well as I did in a lot of the games, but this was my first knockout, so I couldn't afford to give anything less than my all.
shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by shoesama »

Anyways, thanks to the knockout organizers for putting this tournament together. I'm lucky not to have had any impossible matchups in any of the rounds (look in the "Must see replays" topic in General if you want to see some really scary people, some of whom actually participated in this tournament o.o)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Kale wrote:I feel like ripped off right now. Presumably I've lost two months in playing videogames that MAME and MESS community could have benefitted for more developing from my side if I only knew of this farce ending.
I'm also suspecting that you were going to "find the time" if I was on the finals, but oh well. :roll:

Really? So you're basically calling me a liar then? That's great to know. I'm being 100% honest here, if it was you or anyone else in the finals, I would still be withdrawing. I think you are just lashing out at me because of my association with shoe-sama. You really need to chill out.
LastNinja2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by LastNinja2 »

I haven't joined the tournament because i had not enough time to play and, honestly, because i don't like to play in tournaments in the first place. Nevertheless, i was honored to be part of K7 and to play against you in the finals.

That said, i think that your retirement choice in this final round is almost an insult to the coordinators and to the players that you defeated during the competition. All the players have dedicated a lot of time and passion to the MAME Knockout 8 and it's simply not right that BBH, who proved once again to be the most well rounded arcade player, just gives the win to a random player who only had the luck to not engage him in the previous rounds. I would never, NEVER accept a "victory" like that.

If you are tough enough to reach the finals of the biggest, most prestigious arcade tournament of the entire Internet you have to find the time to play and to honour the competition all the way. You don't like the game? Try it at your best. I think that's the minimum sacrifice required to show respect not only to the people that worked to put the tournament together, but also to the players that fought at their best in the past rounds.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

LastNinja2 wrote:just gives the win to a random player who only had the luck to not engage him in the previous rounds. I would never, NEVER accept a "victory" like that.
Shoe-sama is an exceptional player, far from random. I've known him for quite a few years now. He had the top score overall 3/7 rounds, not counting the finals. If we're looking at a BBH vs shoe-sama match up for the entire tournament, shoe-sama would have won 4-3 (again, not counting the finals). He did not just get lucky to reach the finals.

Honestly, these are games, real life issues will always be more important. Give me a break.
LastNinja2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by LastNinja2 »

sikraiken wrote:Shoe-sama is an exceptional player, far from random.
That's not my point. My point is, everyone who arrives in the finals is automatically the champ and that's simply not right. What kind of a champ is the one that wins for an immediate retirement of the other contender in the last and most challenging round? In my view, this tournament has no winner at all.
sikraiken wrote:Honestly, these are games, real life issues will always be more important. Give me a break.
"So, sorry, i've kicked everybody out of the tournament playing everything to the death but i don't have one hour to play for the finals this week and i don't like this game. Goodbye coordinators, thanks for your big efforts during this months, see you next year!!"
C'mon..... GHEMANT and the other organizers do deserve more than this.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

BBH wrote:
Kale wrote:I feel like ripped off right now. Presumably I've lost two months in playing videogames that MAME and MESS community could have benefitted for more developing from my side if I only knew of this farce ending.

Really? So you're basically calling me a liar then? That's great to know. I'm being 100% honest here, if it was you or anyone else in the finals, I would still be withdrawing. I think you are just lashing out at me because of my association with shoe-sama. You really need to chill out.
First off, stupid me that in psychology exists a concept named association, go figure ...
Then, my major point is that you could have asked to the coords and/or your opponent for having a week break and giving an honest final if you really cared, but no, you just retired without even trying to beat that (lame) score. And, mind you, yes, I was going to do it if I was on finals because Sunday I have to do some important business in Rome but whatever, stupid me that I have a solution for everything ...

I don't care about what your lackey (?) does either, we are talking about you and nobody else.

So no, you can say whatever you want right now, you can't change my disappointment for the worst MARP tourney final ever AND my disappointment for praising somebody in all these years and then discover that perhaps it wasn't really worth it.
shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by shoesama »

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/917/ ... ournam.png

my internet conveniently went down again, so here's my final submission for this K8
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Hi everyone!

To avoid extended post, I would like to say this:
NOT specific to anyone. Let's think about our actions and try to correct it, if necessary. I would like to say the same as LastNinja2 said, but just this part:
"Nevertheless, i was honored to be part of K7 [K6 finals, in my case] and to play against you in the finals." But the rest, BBH can do what he wants, mainly related to his personal life!
The_Pro was in the same situation this year and K6 quarter-finals against RedStar too.
Destructor in K5 "semifinals" too.
I decided don't participate in K7.
I think Destructor didn't played this year (K8) by lack of time too...
That's the life! For hobbyists, everytime will exists other priorities. Period.

PS.: I continue waiting for a nice final or semifinal against BBH and/or The_Pro and/or Destructor, for example.

Long life to MAME and to MARP! Congratulations to everyone related to this hobbyist competition.
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions