Tutankham - Backwards DIPs?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Tutankham - Backwards DIPs?

Post by xelnia »

Looking at the DIP switches for Tutankham (tutankhm) in MAME I've noticed something that I can't explain. Hopefully the MAME gurus around here can help! :D

According to the manual for Tut, difficulty 2 is set with SW2#5 = OFF and SW2#6 = ON. Difficulty 2 should be equivalent to "Normal" difficulty in MAME. Below is a screenshot of the DIPs in WolfMAME 0.153. Assuming the DIP graphic is read left-to-right, and switches in the up position are ON, this shows that "Normal" is set with SW2#5 = ON and SW2#6 = OFF. This is backwards and would be equivalent to difficulty 3 / Hard. Changing the difficulty to "Hard" reverses the two switches to what I would expect to see for "Normal." So my questions are:

1) Am I seeing this correctly?
2) If so, are "Normal" and "Hard" currently reversed in MAME?
3) Is the description of the DIPs always in lock-step with the graphic of the DIPs? In other words, could the difficulty really be set to "Normal" if the DIP graphic is incorrect?

Thank you!

tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Tutankham - Backwards DIPs?

Post by tar »

xelina wrote:could the difficulty really be set to "Normal" if the DIP graphic is incorrect?
play a game as is
then , play it switched and decide for yourself
if there are any differences
between the 2 settings or not
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

I tried tutankham on wolf106.
the dipswitch setting with that version is easy.
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

tar wrote:
xelina wrote:could the difficulty really be set to "Normal" if the DIP graphic is incorrect?
play a game as is
then , play it switched and decide for yourself
if there are any differences
between the 2 settings or not
A good idea, for sure. However, I'm still a beginner at the game so it's difficult for me to pick up on the nuances between the difficulty levels. I can see a difference in some enemy behavior, but how do I know that's from the DIPs and not a result of my own gameplay?
tar wrote:I tried tutankham on wolf106.
the dipswitch setting with that version is easy.
The default is "Easy" on versions up to 0.144. On 0.145 and later the default is "Normal." The arcade factory default is "2."
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

- 0.144u7: Kanikani updated Tutankham dipswitches.

I remember at the time there was some uncertainty about some of this guy's changes...

EDIT: Never mind, checking the change, it only changed the default from easy to normal. No changes to the DIP locations.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer