IGBY 2

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: IGBY 2

Post by The TJT »

Thanks Martin and sorry. :)

I know voting 10 games is a overkill but that way we don't have everyone voting only their own picks...
Randomizer seemed a bit unfair since some nominated 1 game and some 15...
wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by wolfman24 »

the scoring system didn't change a lot of the reps didn't want the change. it was in private with reps from each team
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Looks like we're using the google doc, so do it.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

The_Pro wrote:Looks like we're using the google doc, so do it.
So my voting thread is void?

Is the location of this google doc not for public forum?
How about discussion... have decisions moved to Facebook now? If so, then why?
...Surely MARP team should be strong enough to select a couple games in an open forum. (and heck, discuss tactics etc as well)

Imo, the current voting format in that doc is flawed: the only logical way to vote in it is to give only 10's and 0's. (... if you don't then your vote counts less than of those who vote that way)

If that google doc is now the official vote: when is the deadline?

How big is the tiger population of North Korea?
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

I dunno, I'm just trying to get things moving. The thread is still good in that we can add the selections to the doc. I'm not on facebook either so I don't know the extent of the chatting there. I agree there as some flaws, for example a number value for how good you are is subjective, my 5 is not like someone else's 5. I think TRB is the owner of the doc/facebook group if you wanna discuss it.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the top choices thinking "You choose poorly" :wink:

I don't care about making things public, but I don't speak for everyone.
gomas
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gomas »

Hi, I'm gomas, and I'm registered in the "retrovicio arcadespain team" , I ask you to change the MARP team please.
Carnage
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Carnage »

Hi, I'm Carnage, and I'm registered in the "retrovicio arcadespain team" , I ask you to change the MARP team please.

thanks
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

The_Pro wrote:I dunno, I'm just trying to get things moving. The thread is still good in that we can add the selections to the doc. I'm not on facebook either so I don't know the extent of the chatting there. I agree there as some flaws, for example a number value for how good you are is subjective, my 5 is not like someone else's 5. I think TRB is the owner of the doc/facebook group if you wanna discuss it.
Yeah well I see a few problems with the google doc:
  • The voting system is subjective and inconsistent from voter to voter
  • More opportunity to vote "tactically"
  • Its is NOT compatible with votes in MARP thread and vice versa
  • It is outside of MARP and I'm not sure if everyone is/was informed about it, at least I wasn't.
  • There is no set end date
If you want things to move on then why create a parallel voting system which just adds confusion and debate.

Meanwhile as the situation is still unclear about which voting system we're using; I urge people to vote in MARP thread...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15810

We need some clarity on this. If people think google doc is the way to move on I'm ok-ish with that, although I'd personally prefer keeping the voting at MARP. TRB, Wolf?
OMG Kreygasm
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OMG Kreygasm »

I interpreted the MARP thread as voting on which games we'd like to see in and I interpreted the Google doc as a means to determine various players' strength on the games. I'm sure different people have/had different interpretations on them though. I think going forward once the tourney games are set globally, the Google doc will be good to use as a means to mark which games we will focus on and ensure we have coverage.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

OMG Kreygasm wrote:I interpreted the MARP thread as voting on which games we'd like to see in and I interpreted the Google doc as a means to determine various players' strength on the games. I'm sure different people have/had different interpretations on them though. I think going forward once the tourney games are set globally, the Google doc will be good to use as a means to mark which games we will focus on and ensure we have coverage.
Ok that makes sense. Thanks!

So in other words the google doc is sort of telling voters who are good at which games - while the MARP vote is the vote to choose the games...

-

Once the tournament begins I suggest we do a similar google doc on those 20 selected games so we can see better how to divide out strengths...
OMG Kreygasm
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OMG Kreygasm »

The TJT wrote:
So in other words the google doc is sort of telling voters who are good at which games - while the MARP vote is the vote to choose the games...
Yes sir that was at least how I thought to use it/them. I'm not sure if others are going about it the same way but that made the most sense to me. Yeah I think Google doc will be great to use when we start to sort of "claim" games that we have particular strength in or perhaps ones that we may simply want to try out or spend time on.
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Hedging my bets and voting on both, let the internet sort it out.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Hi guys! Some lack of time here, sorry.

I added FB (Zhorik/Gstrain is admin there too).
Brendan added GoogleDocs (format 1).
TJT added pool (format 2) here.

I think everyone's idea is to get ball rolling, excellent, but we have a little different formats:
I understand this way: Format 1 is "how good you are" (ex.: 10, 10, 7, 7, 1), and format 2 is "your prefered game" (ex. 10, 9, 8, 7... 1). I think for competition purposes, format 1 (GoogleDocs) is the best. Yes, please give your numbers in both if you want.

The big issue is: not everyone uses FB (ok), not everyone is active in MARP forum (ok), we don't have IGBY page group to discuss details yet (ok). Other: MARP forum Private Messages (PM) allow maximum 5 people to receive each time, too bad.

I think the time is going over, and numbers are going well in GoogleDocs.

Feel free to PM me (or Zhorik / Gstrain etc) here and I'll try to "link" information between both places. Other suggestions are appreciated... but it's not easy to handle dudes :)

Good luck everyone!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
OMG Kreygasm
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OMG Kreygasm »

By my count so far:

1. Time Pilot '84 - 37 points
2. Shock Troopers - 36 points
3. Black Widow - 34 points
4. Turbo Outrun - 26 points
5. Scramble (Stern) - 25 points
wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by wolfman24 »

signing up is intil June 30th 11:59 pm est to register for the team you want to play

signing up is intil July 7th 11:59 pm est and you will be randomly assigned to a team