IGBY 2

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: IGBY 2

Post by The TJT »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote: format 1 (GoogleDocs) is the best.
I strongly disagree, imo google docs format is great when all the teams have selected their games - but not at all suitable for voting the game picks... It is not a voting format.
For example BBH, Colman and Innuendo rated their skill 9's and 10's at Street Fighter but didn't vote the game at all on MARP poll. Imo we should stick to MARP forums poll. Awaiting your vote...
OMG Kreygasm wrote:By my count so far:
Your count matches my Excel sums. But I'd rather you'd not posted that since we don't want to influence those who have not voted yet... :)

Anyway it's still a close race with many games having a chance to make the top 3 and anything can happen. Every vote counts! A lot.

Reminder: There is only around 24 hours left to vote!

So...
(Click the image to vote)

If someone can't post to MARP forums then you can email your 10 picks to me at:
thetjt@sci.fi
Thnaks.
OMG Kreygasm
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OMG Kreygasm »

The TJT wrote: Your count matches my Excel sums. But I'd rather you'd not posted that since we don't want to influence those who have not voted yet... :)

Good point sir. My bad. Oh and PLEASE get out there and vote folks PLEASE ha ha. :D
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote: For example BBH, Colman and Innuendo rated their skill 9's and 10's at Street Fighter but didn't vote the game at all on MARP poll. Imo we should stick to MARP forums poll. Awaiting your vote...
I didn't vote for it because there was no clear version defined, which was a little confusing. If enough people want to play it I would change my vote.
Reminder: There is only around 24 hours left to vote!
Why are we cutting off voting now if we have until June 30th to officially submit team choices...?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

BBH wrote: Why are we cutting off voting now if we have until June 30th to officially submit team choices...?
Fair question...

I thought 3 days would be enough and we'd get down to business quickly. Maybe we should extend the deadline to, say, 29th?

P.S. About changing one's votes afterwards (if that's what you meant)... I don't think that's a good idea... for one I might not even notice it. Two: it opens the door to mischief. So nope.
As for Street Fighter I will file all votes under same title which is currently "Street Fighter xxx" in my Excel file, since there seems to be some confusion about the version that was nominated.
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

I thought I read all picks had to be done by the 28th but now I can't find it...
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Found it, on DK forums IGBY2 page, games have to be sent in on june 29th.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:P.S. About changing one's votes afterwards (if that's what you meant)... I don't think that's a good idea... for one I might not even notice it. Two: it opens the door to mischief. So nope.
As for Street Fighter I will file all votes under same title which is currently "Street Fighter xxx" in my Excel file, since there seems to be some confusion about the version that was nominated.
Fair enough, although I was rushing to get a post down with my votes because of the early deadline. The only thing I'd want to reconsider is putting Street Fighter II on there, depending on the version (assuming it's Street Fighter II World Warrior). Although my other reason for not including it on my list is because there always seems to be people who get really upset over the presence of fighting games in MAME tournaments, since they require a different skillset that people haven't developed, maybe because some refuse to play any game made after 1985... but whatever, it is what it is.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Hi all!

I agree with TJT and June 26th deadline. GoogleDocs miss only ZID and BeeJay for now. Considering that, we could use the same 26th deadline there. What do you think about?
Ah, we would have some days to play/test the top games.

About the formats, in short, we should vote for "how good", not "your favourite list" imo. It's a competition, and if you read other teams places, they are focusing on it. Our goals shoul be "have games that we have at least 5 strong players". Better yet if it's a game that other teams theoretically are not so good. They are discussing it... pinball game, etc.

Exactly how many games to select? 3? (required 3, then additional games to be safe, right?)
Like gstrain said somewhere, let's select more additional games. If it's 3 main, I'd suggest 6 more (in sequence).

About sf2, it was suggested sf2. Then, if most of the sf players agree, sf2ce would be an alternative.

The games of other teams will be very important... too! See you!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
hanasu
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by hanasu »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:About the formats, in short, we should vote for "how good", not "your favourite list" imo. It's a competition, and if you read other teams places, they are focusing on it. Our goals shoul be "have games that we have at least 5 strong players". Better yet if it's a game that other teams theoretically are not so good. They are discussing it... pinball game, etc.
I agree with TRB 10000%. The fact that SF2 or Twin Cobra are not in the top 5 as of the last list is pure nonsense considering how many good players we have for both titles. As for people not wanting to play fighting games? They can deal with it. Other teams are going to pick games you probably think suck. I doubt that they care. Many of the other teams are purely focused on classic games. For variety and for the most sensible strategy, it would make sense to pick more modern games. There's no 'pre-1985' rule so why are we even pretending to consider things like that or what other teams might think about our picks?
The TJT wrote:I strongly disagree, imo google docs format is great when all the teams have selected their games - but not at all suitable for voting the game picks... It is not a voting format.
For example BBH, Colman and Innuendo rated their skill 9's and 10's at Street Fighter but didn't vote the game at all on MARP poll. Imo we should stick to MARP forums poll. Awaiting your vote...
What's wrong with the Google Doc? It's an even better voting platform than the forum, as votes autotabulate, update in real time, and can be ranked automatically. Relying on MARP forum voting is exactly why we're excluding two of our best games. This is a competitive tournament. If you want to play only games that you like then play them on your own time. The only thing that should matter is selecting games our team has multiple good players of, and secondarily preference should be given to games that other teams are not familiar with/are harder to learn. Scramble for example is a game that probably almost everyone else in the tournament has played, many people are already good at this game, and it's not difficult to learn. It's an awful pick.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

hanasu wrote:
TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:About the formats, in short, we should vote for "how good", not "your favourite list" imo. It's a competition, and if you read other teams places, they are focusing on it. Our goals shoul be "have games that we have at least 5 strong players". Better yet if it's a game that other teams theoretically are not so good. They are discussing it... pinball game, etc.
I agree with TRB 10000%. The fact that SF2 or Twin Cobra are not in the top 5 as of the last list is pure nonsense considering how many good players we have for both titles. As for people not wanting to play fighting games? They can deal with it. Other teams are going to pick games you probably think suck. I doubt that they care. Many of the other teams are purely focused on classic games. For variety and for the most sensible strategy, it would make sense to pick more modern games. There's no 'pre-1985' rule so why are we even pretending to consider things like that or what other teams might think about our picks?
The TJT wrote:I strongly disagree, imo google docs format is great when all the teams have selected their games - but not at all suitable for voting the game picks... It is not a voting format.
What's wrong with the Google Doc? It's an even better voting platform than the forum, as votes autotabulate, update in real time, and can be ranked automatically. Relying on MARP forum voting is exactly why we're excluding two of our best games. This is a competitive tournament. If you want to play only games that you like then play them on your own time. The only thing that should matter is selecting games our team has multiple good players of, and secondarily preference should be given to games that other teams are not familiar with/are harder to learn. Scramble for example is a game that probably almost everyone else in the tournament has played, many people are already good at this game, and it's not difficult to learn. It's an awful pick.
This is a good post. You're right, I shouldn't give a fuck what everyone else thinks - if we have people that are on our team capable of playing Street Fighter II, then we should be taking advantage of it. I'm changing my vote.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Can't change votes, sorry. It just would not be fair.
Less than one hour to vote...
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:Can't change votes, sorry. It just would not be fair.
Cool, I didn't know you were the leader of this team now.

Oh well, what's done is done. I think we'll still be in good shape regardless.
hanasu
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by hanasu »

BBH wrote:
The TJT wrote:Can't change votes, sorry. It just would not be fair.
Cool, I didn't know you were the leader of this team now.
:lol:
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Hi guys! There are many details... I'll post something later or tomorrow... again, sorry for the lack of time!
TRB
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions