Message to Simpsons99

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

GJTMarper
Button Masher
Button Masher

Message to Simpsons99

Post by GJTMarper »

Deleting uploads and throwing hissy fits in the comments does not help anything. Please find a different way to vent your spleen. Thank you.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Message to Simpsons99

Post by simpsons99 »

First I want to state here please keep your thoughts to your self .

First up when I first saw PP Scores . I thought he is a new player give him scores to beat . But he kept submitting these low scores on games that never been played before . seems as he was hunting for them ..

What really got under my skin was his first scores are super low . someone beats his scores he ups them a little bit . Just to take the first place back again.. When he starts doing this on 30 or more games becomes a complete waste of time .

I see he just wants to move up the leader board here .. I was bashed about this kind of thing in the past .. I was glad to see BBH and others where playing and saying something to him.. So I feel I am not alone on my feelings on this .
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

simpsons99 wrote: First up when I first saw PP Scores . I thought he is a new player give him scores to beat . But he kept submitting these low scores on games that never been played before . seems as he was hunting for them ..

What really got under my skin was his first scores are super low . someone beats his scores he ups them a little bit . Just to take the first place back again.. When he starts doing this on 30 or more games becomes a complete waste of time .

I see he just wants to move up the leader board here ..
The weird part is that I don't see anything wrong with any of this. If submitting junk scores for cheap leaderboard firsts makes him happy, let him have his fun. Just ignore him if that makes you so angry or beat his scores by such a margin that he can't beat you back.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Now, boys, don't fight ^_^
:v

Ok, now seriously talking...
since I agree a bit here and a bit there with you guys (surely it's nothing new to our eyes *cough tk cough rex cough kernzy cough etc. cough* and hopefully we have a brain that can tell us that "top positions in that leaderboard" do not mean "high average quality performances", but still it hurts somehow to view this phenomenon happening), here's my two hints for you, Brian, to take it easier on the situation and feel better about it.
1) ignore. Ignore ignore ignore ignore ignore.
2) beat some 1st places taken so easily with some HARDLY defeatable new highscores. Not on all scores, of course time isn't that much, just those games you really can't suffer to see abandoned to such cheap first place. Just don't beat a cheap 1st place with another cheap 1st place.

I didn't see the comments which are the reason why this topic was launched but I can just remind everyone to express your opinions without offending, being cautious on your words.

To GJTMarper:
Between making a thread that can be publicly read to send a "message" to Brian "and only Brian" and sending a "real message to Brian" in his private inbox, nothing changes. Ah no, it actually enforces the fact that Brian did something again, so, you know, it's Brian, we surely all care of what he does and his mistakes should be emphasized by making a new thread on its own. Please find a different way to talk about Brian. Thank you.
Last edited by giro-X on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

If I got paid 5 cents for every time you said my name I would be Rich.
giro-X wrote:Now, boys, don't fight ^_^
:v

Ok, now seriously talking...
since I agree a bit here and a bit there with you guys (surely it's nothing new to our eyes *cough tk cough the person above me there in rank right now cough kernzy cough etc. cough* and hopefully we have a brain that can tell us that "top positions in that leaderboard" do not mean "high average quality performances", but still it hurts somehow to view this phenomenon happening), here's my two hints for you, Brian, to take it easier on the situation and feel better about it.
1) ignore. Ignore ignore ignore ignore ignore.
2) beat some 1st places taken so easily with some HARDLY defeatable new highscores. Not on all scores, of course time isn't that much, just those games you really can't suffer to see abandoned to such cheap first place. Just don't beat a cheap 1st place with another cheap 1st place.

I didn't see the comments which are the reason why this topic was launched but I can just remind everyone to express your opinions without offending, being cautious on your words.

To GJTMarper:
Between making a thread that can be publicly read to send a "message" to Brian "and only Brian" and sending a "real message to Brian" in his private inbox, nothing changes. Ah no, it actually enforces the fact that Brian did something again, so, you know, it's Brian, we surely all care of what he does and his mistakes should be emphasized by making a new thread on its own. Please find a different way to talk about Brian. Thank you.
Arcade Game Scores
Vaz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Vaz »

simpsons99 wrote:First up when I first saw PP Scores . I thought he is a new player give him scores to beat . But he kept submitting these low scores on games that never been played before . seems as he was hunting for them ..

I see he just wants to move up the leader board here .. I was bashed about this kind of thing in the past .. I was glad to see BBH and others where playing and saying something to him.. So I feel I am not alone on my feelings on this .
Actually this is kind of fun. It is so 2001-ish.
http://www.vazcomics.org/mamend/ -- MamEnd: when the end is just the beginning...
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I wish everyone felt the same way as you Vaz .. I was hated and bashed on for doing this kind of thing years ago .
Vaz wrote:
simpsons99 wrote:First up when I first saw PP Scores . I thought he is a new player give him scores to beat . But he kept submitting these low scores on games that never been played before . seems as he was hunting for them ..

Actually this is kind of fun. It is so 2001-ish.
Arcade Game Scores
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

*comes out of retirement*
simpsons99 wrote:I wish everyone felt the same way as you Vaz .. I was hated and bashed on for doing this kind of thing years ago .
Doesn't that tell you something?
Vaz wrote:Actually this is kind of fun. It is so 2001-ish.
For an authentic 2001 feel you really need some BBH/Novice wars! :wink:

*goes back into retirement*
Darren
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Well here's the thing. People are free to submit whatever scores they want to MARP, as long as they follow the rules and play back to the advertised scores, etc. Technically there's nothing wrong with submitting a bad score on an unplayed clone romset.

But personally, I just find it irritating when the latest uploads are flooded with bad low-effort scores in the attempt to gain places on the leaderboard. It might feel harsh to label scores as "bad", but you can't deny the level of effort in some of these PP scores. Come on, 1500 on Fighter's History? That literally means he did nothing but land a few hits and then lose the 1st stage without winning a round. 1500 may be a higher score than 0, but how can one be proud of that and feel this is worth going to the trouble to upload? Couldn't take the time to try again or maybe learn the game a little better? I guess not, since there's more unplayed romsets to find...

Of course I've always felt the same way about gambling (and to a lesser extent, mahjong) games. Whenever someone floods the latest uploads with those scores, it's basically pushing down other scores from the newest list, pushing down recordings that probably took more effort to make and are no doubt more interesting to watch. I mean, is there ANYONE that's seen a recording uploaded for some random gambling game and thought "I'm interested in downloading and watching this"? I never have. All this over the need to chase after a ranking on a flawed leaderboard system.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. Brian, you've gotten mad at people in the past (like saulonpb) who were doing the exact same thing you were doing - uploading scores on unplayed clone romsets that are significantly lower than their parent romsets. Like I said there's nothing to keep you from playing clones if you desperately want 1st place scores that have little competition. But if someone else strikes back and beats that score, why get angry? Does it really matter that much that PP got 60k on knockoutb when the record on the parent romset for Triple Punch is 357k? You know that neither you nor PP's scores are as strong as other players', and in many cases it's only a matter of time until someone better at the game feels like uploading on it. If your score can't stand as a 1st place score on a less popular clone romset, is it really the fault of the other person that uploaded a better score? In the long run, neither one of you are going to have that 1st place anymore unless one of you steps up and gets a lot better at the game in question.

DRN wrote:For an authentic 2001 feel you really need some BBH/Novice wars! :wink:
lol, he actually kinda made a crack at me in another thread a couple weeks ago, but it's all good. I'm a lot mellower than I was 15 years ago and I don't harbor any ill will towards Novice/Hisa.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

BBH I agree with everything you said .

The past is the past there is no changing that .

Yes that's the problem I have with PP Scores .. He is not even trying .. I always tried to get the best score I could . I would submit a score and then continue to play the game and try to better my score .
PP player just moves on to the next Game that has no scores on it.
I really think he does not even play the games the first time he submits a score on them.

Yeah that knockout set seems to be quite harder then the other sets .. The hardness ramps up quite earlier on that set ..

The reason I removed my scores before because I felt like my scores would be targeted . I really am trying to avoid any drama and just enjoy my games and have a good time .. Sure I have no problems go back and forth with a person on scores . I love that about this site and all the rom sets are playable for scores ..

There really is not another site like this one . I just want to put the past to bed .
BBH wrote:Well here's the thing. People are free to submit whatever scores they want to MARP, as long as they follow the rules and play back to the advertised scores, etc. Technically there's nothing wrong with submitting a bad score on an unplayed clone romset.

But personally, I just find it irritating when the latest uploads are flooded with bad low-effort scores in the attempt to gain places on the leaderboard. It might feel harsh to label scores as "bad", but you can't deny the level of effort in some of these PP scores. Come on, 1500 on Fighter's History? That literally means he did nothing but land a few hits and then lose the 1st stage without winning a round. 1500 may be a higher score than 0, but how can one be proud of that and feel this is worth going to the trouble to upload? Couldn't take the time to try again or maybe learn the game a little better? I guess not, since there's more unplayed romsets to find...

Of course I've always felt the same way about gambling (and to a lesser extent, mahjong) games. Whenever someone floods the latest uploads with those scores, it's basically pushing down other scores from the newest list, pushing down recordings that probably took more effort to make and are no doubt more interesting to watch. I mean, is there ANYONE that's seen a recording uploaded for some random gambling game and thought "I'm interested in downloading and watching this"? I never have. All this over the need to chase after a ranking on a flawed leaderboard system.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. Brian, you've gotten mad at people in the past (like saulonpb) who were doing the exact same thing you were doing - uploading scores on unplayed clone romsets that are significantly lower than their parent romsets. Like I said there's nothing to keep you from playing clones if you desperately want 1st place scores that have little competition. But if someone else strikes back and beats that score, why get angry? Does it really matter that much that PP got 60k on knockoutb when the record on the parent romset for Triple Punch is 357k? You know that neither you nor PP's scores are as strong as other players', and in many cases it's only a matter of time until someone better at the game feels like uploading on it. If your score can't stand as a 1st place score on a less popular clone romset, is it really the fault of the other person that uploaded a better score? In the long run, neither one of you are going to have that 1st place anymore unless one of you steps up and gets a lot better at the game in question.

DRN wrote:For an authentic 2001 feel you really need some BBH/Novice wars! :wink:
lol, he actually kinda made a crack at me in another thread a couple weeks ago, but it's all good. I'm a lot mellower than I was 15 years ago and I don't harbor any ill will towards Novice/Hisa.
Arcade Game Scores
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

BBH wrote: lol, he actually kinda made a crack at me in another thread a couple weeks ago, but it's all good. I'm a lot mellower than I was 15 years ago and I don't harbor any ill will towards Novice/Hisa.
Sounds like DEFCON 5...
:)
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

The TJT wrote:
BBH wrote: lol, he actually kinda made a crack at me in another thread a couple weeks ago, but it's all good. I'm a lot mellower than I was 15 years ago and I don't harbor any ill will towards Novice/Hisa.
Sounds like DEFCON 5...
:)
:lol:
Darren