saulonpb - dkong - 3,200

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

saulonpb - dkong - 3,200

Post by xelnia »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/dkong
http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/1/6/4/snp ... olf103.zip

Listed as WolfMAME 0.103...but whatever he's using, it ain't that. Plays to advertised score in Wolf103, but doesn't match Wolf or vanilla MAME INP structure. So, should be relabeled as "omame103" I guess.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: saulonpb - dkong - 3,200

Post by Weehawk »

Probably MAMEplus, not that it matters.

Somebody just find him, and stop him.
John Cunningham (JTC)
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

I'd have thought what he's doing now is a clear violation of rule 1e):
e) Submit only games that you feel are worthy of the notice of other MARPers, owing either to personal effort, or display of skill
All that flood of '1st try' recordings clearly doesn't meet that rule. I'm not sure what the point is, other than making recordings worth viewing disappear off the uploads sooner than they should.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

and again this use of old versions, especially non-standard ones for random games is very suspicious.

I continue to be amazed that MARP aren't clamping down on this, there's no legitimate reason to be using 103, let alone some random, possibly MAMEPLUS build of 103

also not actually knowing for sure what build was used? still strikes me as these being scores from more than one person.

like with certain other users, this raises far too many red flags.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Haze wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 pm also not actually knowing for sure what build was used? still strikes me as these being scores from more than one person.
Also, when you look at the other pattern, where all the shitty 'S' and 'T' games were wolf103 whereas the load of shitty 'B' games recently uploaded were Wolf177, this also smacks of being more than one person as well. They seem to be dividing up the games by letter so they can share the load of creating/uploading all these shitty recordings. When will the refs use rule 1e) to shutdown this user profile and stop this flood of crap and spam filling up the recent uploads?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

I agree, the recent uploads list is completely unreadable
Andrew Barrow
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

I agree that something should be done.
Just consider how many replays of those have been actually considered by community. One Donkey Kong replay just because there's an independent ranking for this classic and every replay, even the worst ones, is classified.
The suspicious replays magically placed first but then whoopsie - something was not right, it's actually junk.
And then probably nothing else.

It's okay if some replays are not being checked because the games involved are not interesting for the community, but this is a different context, hundreds of replays with no effort behind and obviously not even helpful for leaderboard.
Of course we could change settings while viewing the uploads, such as adding saulon to the Ignore List or asking for 100+ rows for page, but... this doesn't really solve the problem, instead such passive behaviour would just tolerate it.
Personally I don't even write names in the Ignore List, because those I could ignore usually are also sources of replays where rules aren't followed.
dan
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by dan »

What about you enable postings only above a certain rank?

Advantages:
It will reduce the burden on the server.
Meaningless posts will be less.
The burden on the conformer will be reduced.

Disadvantages:
The overall posting will be less.
There is a possibility that posts may reach a plateau in the future.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

I guess the problem arises when people wants to organize a proper tournament here.
But I have no hell of a clue about why there aren't any lately, probably because it's actually more convenient to make them somewhere else, due of the ultra known problems about MARP being old and unmanned basically.

PS: it's funny that MARP minimum MAME version on submit is 0.30 as of today.
And I shoot a guess: there's no field on the database that can disable that on upload and not like break viewing when searching for inps, in case we want to enforce a minimum version requirement (at very least anything < 0.99 aka the very first WolfMAME version).