The Mame Game Recommendations Project

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

The Mame Game Recommendations Project

Post by The TJT »

"MAME supports over 3200 arcade games. You probably haven't played more than a few hundred of them. How do you know there aren't some really great games out there that you've never tried?

This is a project to collect recommendations from MAME players, as in, "Hey, this game is good, give it a try!" Of all the games MAME supports, you can recommend the ones you like, and the number of recommendations each game has will be tallied for other people to see."

Recommend games here:

http://frotz.enchanter.net/magarp/
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

WTF? Ms Pacman is second? NO WAY! 8O

And how is it that Shock Troopers doesn't have more votes than Bosconian? Anyway, remedied that for now. :wink:
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

---
Last edited by sikraiken on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

This project is a good idea IN THEORY. And IN THEORY, Communism works.

The whole point of it is to let people know about games they haven't tried or probably never heard of, since MAME emulates so much... so what do people do on this site? They vote for Pacman. What the fuck? Is there anyone out there that HASN'T played Pacman (or Ms. Pacman) in some form at some point in their life? As if it isn't bad enough that it's shit in the first place. :x

I voted for all the Shock Troopers, and Chimera Beast... I'll find some good obscure games that I enjoy to vote for on there later. Not that it'll do any good, for every person that's actually using the site for what it's intended, there's 10 morons voting for Pacman.
jdllama
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by jdllama »

Don't forget, Burgertime has 12 votes. l33t. (sure, one of them is mine, but that's besides the point!)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Sure most common games get more votes. All you do is look: "Aha, Pacman, aha Galaga, I know these are good, what!...theres something called Black Widow, wonder if that's any good..." That's the way it works.

P.S.
Sure Galaga gets tons of votes, everyone likes it, but is it really YOUR favourite?...
Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

Why not list the most recommended games by game type, using catver.ini for example? I often feel like playing a certain type of game rather than a specific game. Then it would be handy to check that category and see if there's a new game I haven't tried before.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

"This project is a good idea IN THEORY. And IN THEORY, Communism works. "

Lovely quote BBH , and nicely put .

" Recommended games " from MAME ? Christ , we should know some moron / gobshite will always vote for this kinda crap ( i.e Pac-Man / Galaga )..?

Wasn't the whole idea supposed to alert us to some 'not-so-familiar-games'?

Can't think of any now ( current Alcohol level + Hawkwind playing at a rather loud decibel factor , prevent me )

AL

?????What?

HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

AL wrote:"This project is a good idea IN THEORY. And IN THEORY, Communism works. "

Lovely quote BBH , and nicely put .
It's a Simpsons quote actually :D Bonus points to whoever can tell me which episode that quote came from. (JD, I'm looking in your direction... :P)
" Recommended games " from MAME ? Christ , we should know some moron / gobshite will always vote for this kinda crap ( i.e Pac-Man / Galaga )..?

Wasn't the whole idea supposed to alert us to some 'not-so-familiar-games'?
Yup, but people are stupid.

I also don't see any way this site aims to prevent people from "spamming" any particular game to the top, I think clicking on the Vote button, going back, Voting again, etc. keeps adding votes.... look out Galaga, Legend of Success Joe is going to knock you out of the top spot! :twisted:
jdllama
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by jdllama »

I........er.............uh.................thinking.............Simpsons powers fading........

I honestly have no clue. If it's a recent one, I at least have an excuse for not knowing. If it's old, I give ya permission to slap the hell out of me in the chat room tonight. Deal?
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Vote for "The Pit". It is the best game of all time, don't you think? ;)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

jdllama wrote:I........er.............uh.................thinking.............Simpsons powers fading........

I honestly have no clue. If it's a recent one, I at least have an excuse for not knowing. If it's old, I give ya permission to slap the hell out of me in the chat room tonight. Deal?
Like I would remember anything about one of the shitty new episodes? :) I don't remember which season it's from exactly, but it's definitely an old episode. I'll leave the question open until I get home from work here. ;)

(and for the record, it wasn't an EXACT quote, except for the 2nd part. It was actually "I agree with you Marge.... IN THEORY. IN THEORY, Communism works!")
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Alien Sector (aliensec) is a nice little game. One of games I used to enjoy playing on my old micro and didn't realize it was based on a real arcade game until many years later when I came across it emulated in MAME. Stratavox is another.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
0000.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
Kaiser
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Kaiser »

Zing zing zip (zingzip) is a cool 1992 shooter.... it exceeded any 1992 shmups in terms of bullets, it was first shooter with many bullets (In most of modern shooter nowadays) you can play it but be warned.... that game is unforgivable if you don't memorize anything

PS. Kudos to destructor for recommending me this game, practicing in it gives a lot to overall skill
Attachments
zing0003.png
zing0003.png (42.86 KiB) Viewed 8083 times
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

mahlemiut wrote:WTF? Ms Pacman is second? NO WAY! 8O
oh, wat a cool game. I will have to play this some more!!! :P

I love those "golden pickles".

BTW, site seems down currently or my ISP's DNS doesn't know it.

anyone got a link to it using the ip?