Striker 1945 Plus settings?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

landshark9 wrote:
BBH wrote:It annoys me that pretty much every Strikers 1945 Plus machine I've ever seen at an arcade was set to 2 lives to start, but it's not like I can do anything about that.
Wait. You've actually seen a Strikers 1945 Plus cab in the wild? I haven't seen a shooter outside of mame/PS2 in 2 or 3 years.
Sure, I've seen a few. I actually know of a couple in the Portland area, both of them being at bowling alleys. And sure enough, both machines are set to 2 lives to start. It was a really stupid decision on Psikyo's part, but there's not much we can do about that.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

BBH wrote:
...and MAME's default setting is to use the European bios. Isn't it going to skew comparisons if everyone is using different bioses?
neo geo games exist in 2 different version. Western version and Japanese version (sometimes there is also european version). Other games have multiple set for different version, neo geo games not.

one solutions is open 2 different ranking.

if it depended on me, I would use japanese bios only for all neo geo games, because in japan version these games are complete and original. Western version of neo geo games have censorship, cutting, fewer modality, difficult top heavy.

This is only a my opinion, but this is not so important. Little games have important differents to deserve a multiple ranking (ninja commando, strikers, magical drop 3, genshitou 2, sonic wings 3 ASO II...)

the true important argument is default settings for all games in marp.

For me is unacceptable see a ranking with replay made with normal settings and replay with other settings. Fortunately these differences are limited to change difficult and not also to changes number of lives or time limit.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

In most cases, there is little to no difference between the regions in Neo Geo games. I am only aware of Neo Drift Out, which has definite control sensitivity differences across the three regions. Strikers 1945 Plus is the only other one I am aware of, that has some obvious difference across regions. Typically, the only real differences between Neo Geo regions will be the Japanese version being in Japanese, and having the "This game is to be used only in Japan" warning, the US version having the "Winners don't use drugs" message and different coin slot settings, and the Europe/Asia version having more languages to choose from.

I think it was Europe BIOS that was common down this part of the world, as I don't remember seeing "Winners don't use drugs" on any Neo Geo game, although they did always have two seperate coin slots.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

some difference of regions (that I remember now):

(in japanese version)

- ninja commando start with 2 lives and not 1.
- magical drop 3 have extra introduction, extra ending, extra sound effect, 1 extra modality
- sonic wings 3 have extra ending at the end of first loop, in europe version there is a only difficult, level 8 or near.
- genshitou 2: energy stock bar and not lives, bonus points for full energy bonus or heart energy.
- garou densetsu: all moves and combination are different, and this is important to perform some moves.
- strikers 1945 plus 3 lives and not 2
- ASO II: there is a extra boss during last stage, + 60.000 pts for loops (2 loops = + 120.000 pts).
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Extra modality? Are you referring to that extra (poorly named ;)) gameplay mode in Magical Drop 2?
- Barry Rodewald
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

mahlemiut wrote:Extra modality? Are you referring to that extra (poorly named ;)) gameplay mode in Magical Drop 2?
story mode (jap) - challenge mode (europe)

Kaiser
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Kaiser »

GHEMANT wrote:some difference of regions (that I remember now):

(in japanese version)

- ninja commando start with 2 lives and not 1.
- magical drop 3 have extra introduction, extra ending, extra sound effect, 1 extra modality
- sonic wings 3 have extra ending at the end of first loop, in europe version there is a only difficult, level 8 or near.
- genshitou 2: energy stock bar and not lives, bonus points for full energy bonus or heart energy.
- garou densetsu: all moves and combination are different, and this is important to perform some moves.
- strikers 1945 plus 3 lives and not 2
- ASO II: there is a extra boss during last stage, + 60.000 pts for loops (2 loops = + 120.000 pts).
And in ASO 2 japanese bios used, there is much higher difficulty correct me if i'm wrong but when i'm playing this game in japanese bios it seems much more difficult to play
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

I don´t knew this... I´ve readed all this topic and I´m very sad.

Here in Brasilia (my city), the bios is japanese!! Because a a multi-game machine, and there´s 5 games on it (Strikers 1945 Plus, Samurai Shodown 2, Garou, Kof 1996 and Kof 2002).

Barry, could be possible play using the japanese bios???
Long life to good games
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

INNUENDO wrote:Barry, could be possible play using the japanese bios???
Sorry, only allowed if there's no obvious gameplay/difficulty differences.
- Barry Rodewald
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

mahlemiut wrote:
INNUENDO wrote:Barry, could be possible play using the japanese bios???
Sorry, only allowed if there's no obvious gameplay/difficulty differences.

Well, ok!! I´ll try to do something... I´m in vacation. :)

But it´s very hard to do some high score with only 2 lives and the 600.000 bonus. Till now, I didn´t finished the game using this configuration... :(
Long life to good games
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Psikyo aren't the only ones that make non-Japanese versions harder - Capcom and Konami do it quite often.
- Barry Rodewald
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

Again, I say you should split by BIOS. It's no different than having multiple clones of the game, except instead of using a different 8 letter name, you use a different bios number.

Theres more difference between the various bios's than there are between many sets you do split.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Little point, really. Most games operate pretty much the same under any BIOS. If we were to split, then it ought to only be done to games that have a significant difference in gameplay in the different BIOS region. Should be split by region only as well, as technically, these are not revisions to the game. That, and it'd be a right pain to handle any extra dumps, should any appear in the future.

So far, the only real allowable different BIOS use (that affects anything) is for one of the Magical Drop games, which adds an extra mode in the japanese version.
- Barry Rodewald