Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Golden Era Game of the Week

Post by Weehawk »

Enough of debate and controversy...I'm ready to have some fun.

I've been toying with ideas for promoting competition on my first love, golden era games. Intrigued by Robert Mruzcek's TG bounties and the "Game of the Week" idea here in the forums which seems to have been abandoned, I have decided to issue a challenge to the MARP community.

Each week I will name a "Golden Era Game of the Week" for which I will offer a monetary prize for the highest MARP submission on.

Prior to 2359 hours GMT each Friday I will post in this forum (or if the Game of the Week forum has been abandoned, with Seymour's permission I may hijack it) the name of the game, the amount of the reward, any rules I may choose to apply, and in some cases in addition to the reward for the highest score submitted that week (before 2359 the following Friday) I may offer a further "bounty" for reaching some goal I choose to set on the game achieved by a more distant deadline.

Ground Rules:

1) I will require the latest version of WolfMAME (currently .106) be used unless otherwise noted in the weekly announcement. Proper playback by myself or someone I trust will be required.

2) Payment will be made via Paypal only. This should be available in all countries where we have MARP members, and is very convenient to use.
(Edit: Other arrangements will be considered only for members in countries where Paypal is not available.)

3) Before submitting a leading entry, if you have not done so before, please message me here on the forum, or email to Image identifying yourself so that I may associate inp ownership with your forum ID or email address.

4) If you already have a recording submitted to MARP for the game, you are eligible for the contest only if you better your previous recording. This will help negate advantage held by those players, and encourage them to "raise the bar", which is sort of the whole point here.
(EDIT: If you wish to temporarily delete your previous score in order to play along during the week, you are welcome to. I will also consider such submissions valid for Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday bonus points and for the weekly 10-7-5 cumulative points, BUT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE MONETARY PRIZE YOU MUST STILL BEAT YOUR PREVIOUS SCORE. Prize will otherwise go to the next higher scorer.)

5) Recordings must be submitted to MARP and logged prior to the announced deadline unless otherwise announced by Weehawk (and ONLY Weehawk) in the marpirc.net or gegotw.net forums.

I will also keep cumulative scores (probably a 10-7-5 point system for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) plus 2 bonus points for the highest submission so far on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

This is a personal offer from myself, and is not officially associated with MARP in any way.
Last edited by Weehawk on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Golden Era Game of the Week

Post by destructor »

Weehawk wrote: 2) Payment will be made via Paypal only. This should be available in all countries where we have MARP members, and is very convenient to use.
In Poland paypal is unavailable.

Paypal is available in:
Anguilla
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Costa Rica
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hong Kong
Iceland
India
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Luxembourg
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
Singapore
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom

Other way for send money to unavailable countries is Western Union.

Maybe I wrong think?
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

That's ok destructor, give the rest of us a chance ;).
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:In Poland paypal is unavailable
A quick google does in fact turn up people in Poland who accept paypal payments. For example:

http://www.mirekw.com/donate/donate.html

They may accomplish this by having a bank account in another country.

Also, I think all one really needs to have a paypal account is an email address. You could list whatever country you like. This may present problems with bringing the funds into the real world, you might have to use them solely to buy things online directly from your paypal balance.

Also, I'm seeing several recommendations for http://www.moneybookers.com as a reliable alternative to paypal for eastern european countries not supported by paypal. If my having an account there would solve the problem I could look into it.
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yeah, I think anyone can....you just might not be able to get "verified" where you could link that paypal account directly to your normal bank account or use other features like getting their ATM/debit card etc.

You could still use whatever paypal balance you acquired for buying stuff on ebay or elsewhere though paying with paypal.

oh well...stuff like this is more incentive for me to try and make a macwolfmame this summer.

It sucks missing out on all these opportunities and just not being able to directly compete with others in these types of contests.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Paypal was available for people from other countries until march 2002 year. Now you must fax your passport etc. after registration. You can use account in bank from country available for paypal but you must go to bank personally.

Now I read about MoneyBookers :wink:
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I read about moneybookers and this looks pretty well. I was registered even. :wink:
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Game of the week ...
Can't we couple that with WCC ?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Listening to feedback I'm getting I notice that a lot of you are finding that a week is too short a time. Those that have high scores already are saying they can't better them in a week, those not familiar with the game saying they cannot master it in a week.

I'm wondering if it would help if I gave notice ahead of time what games I am planning on? I had originally planned on not announcing a game until the start of the week. That way everybody would be playing the same time, and the same amount of time. Also, I could play the game the week prior and start the week off showing what I was able to do, for better or worse. If I gave advance notice people could have more time to devote to a game if they wanted.

The down side to this is some games might get "looked past" if everyone is already working on next week's game, should it be more popular for whatever reason. Naming them week by week forces attention on each game.

What do you guys think?
John Cunningham (JTC)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

maybe game of the month will be better, if you want very good scores to be uploaded ?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Couple weeks would be enough time for many games. Yet many classics can require several weeks or even months to master fully.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

Hat's off Weehawk !

Great idea, I don't think I've any chance to win the prizes but it's a great idea.

You spend maney and time for the glorious games of the golden era.

Thanks

Francois
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

A week is fine, yes name them in advance if necessary. A month is too long IMO, that's only 12 games in a whole year. The more games you can cram in the better and there's more chance of getting games you like. Besides you can always carry on enjoying the game after the week is up unless you've got $$$ signs in your eyes, ch-ching.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

you know there are other tournaments besides game of the week/month to play, as well as (if you don't need the peer pressure) just pick a game at random to play and submit a cool recording. of course those won't offer money :)
-skito