PRE POLL discussion :two buttons mapped to the same key

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Uhhh, I was a keyboard player for about five years before I got my controller. Never had the need to map multple buttons to one key. You just find the key configuration that works best for your keyboard. And avoid using characters that have moves that require 360s. :)

The thing here is, that you're creating a setup that the game didn't originally have. DBZ2 is a 4 button game - the point is to push two buttons together for a strong attack. Mapping one key to two buttons eliminates any possible error in pushing the two buttons at once.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

The TJT wrote:I look at my crystal ball, and feel a poll coming soon.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Maybe my crystal ball was broken :wink:
Anyway, looks like this conversation starts to go in circles now.

As I see it, we are not talking about keyboard vs something else here. Diagonals at keyboard should be much easier pushing up+right than trying to make same using hotrod. (BTW, Marp 1st at Robotron is played with keyboard.)
We just don't want someone to have unfair advantage using questionable button mapping. .That is compared to arcade, or other players who play the game "clean"

I think indy's rule looks fine, when I add one word in the end: simultaneously...which means that you can still use more than one key, just don't use them same time/same event(T&F etc-wise).
Example:
You can use analog joystick to play Tron, but at lightcycles you use keyboard.
Example:
You can use joystick at Hypersports, but use buttons at skeet.
You can use 2 running buttons at T&F, but joystick at highjump event...But you can not use joystick + buttons same time, same event, getting more pushes/second than you could do at arcade!

Code: Select all

2.n) Mapping two or more of the original arcade machine's buttons to a single key or joystick button in MAME is not permitted. Also it is not permitted to use more than one key or button in MAME for the same arcade machine button simultaneously.
Think about it, poll in 24h :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

And what with old scores?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

If player gets unfair advantage using questionable button mapping, they get zeroed. Level playing field and all...
I don't think you Des have many such recordings, atleast you are not being caught :)

End of conversation, time to vote now.