Neo-Geo Roms Mame32 error message

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

battlehound
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Neo-Geo Roms Mame32 error message

Post by battlehound »

This is weird, I am using mame32 .37b16 and have got the fullrom sets for turfmasters and Battle Flip Shot, but when loading I get the message

"Mame32 error" "ng-sfix.rom not found, neo-geo.rom not found, ng-sm1.rom not found" required files are missing, game cannot be run-but the thing is that I DO have all these files, including the neo geo bios files downloaded from Classicgaming.com which are supposed to get around this problem. I tried placing the files unzipped in the general mame folder, then in the roms folder, and even into the neo-geo rom sets themselves, all with no effect-maybe its my mame version that is too old but does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happenning? Thanks

Ps sorry to bring this up here, I have tried posting this on the main mame32 forum but it keeps saying "yaniel, bad troll" with a stupid error message saying that my browser is banned from making posts which is crazy! :roll:
Battlehound
tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

Using MAME32 .37b16 with current (MAME 0.60) roms works perfectly - I just tested on both the games you mentioned. I recall there was a reorg of the neogeo BIOS a few releases ago. It might be that those missing roms need to go into the neogeo.zip.

Don't bother unzipping files. Just make sure the right rom files are in the right zip's and that your rompath is pointing to where those zips are.

Tim
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

You need the Neo Geo BIOS to play Neo Geo games, same as you need the CVS BIOS for CVS games, the PC-10 BIOS for PC10 games, and the PGM BIOS for PGM games.

I don't think the extra ROM (ng-lo.bin) was supported by MAME around 0.37b16, but it is needed for more recent versions of MAME (or any other Neo Geo emulator, bar NeoRageX which hasn't been updated in ages). Other than that, it's been the same for a long time.

Just make sure neogeo.zip is in the same folder as the rest of your zipped ROMs. Or even try a different emulator to see if that works.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
battlehound
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by battlehound »

I have now managed to solve this problem by downloading a different version of neogeo.zip (81kb size of file)-it seems some versions arent very reliable-mame.dk suggests that theres a version for .36 to .55 and another from .56 to.60 ...I can now play battle flip shot and turfmasters- and thanks for the advice
Battlehound