commandu

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

commandu

Post by JoustGod »

I hope that this "high scoring" technique is looked at further. A nice debate over the merits of gaining over 80% of a score by hanging out in one spot with no time limits to worry about would be good. Although it does not technically violate the special rules for this title, nonetheless it is definitely against the general anti-leeching attitude that MARP adheres to. Please discuss amongst yourselves in this thread. ;-)
QRS
Editor

Re

Post by QRS »

I have only one comment to this type of gameplay.. Pathetic.

No more comments are needed.
QRS
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

...and one more thing.

Post by JoustGod »

Am I missing something here? I could have sworn that this issue has been extensively debated here at MARP. This particular type of leeching (that is, unlimited time constraints in which to accomplish the leeching) is fine for a display of exploiting a game flaw. But, it can hardly be taken seriously as a legitimate score. Perhaps the Beck impersonation gleefully announcing the deed was the worst karaoke I've heard in years. ;-)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I don't know if it's the same technique exactly as mentioned here, as I haven't watched the recording yet, but it's probably the same sort of thing.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

he doesn't sit behind a bunker but it's definitley infinitive (though you do have to move once in a while if a grenade comes too close) leeching even though you can't get an infinite amount of lives from it.

I think this kind of leeching is for a tips and tricks page not for comparing against people who play the game. There is still a fine line between leeching and getting points. Consider this, if two players played a game where you can infinitively leech by making progress and not leeching, and consider they died at the same points in the game and thus made the same progress, more than likely one would have a different score than another if one happened to slip up and wait a little longer at a spot to get one more guy to come out to kill thus one more point, but does the one person deserve more credit (and thus 1rst place) for those extra points by waiting a little longer when both made the same progress? I think the one person does deserve more but then the second person will play the game again and leech more and it'll go on and on untill you see recordings like this... I guess it has to be deliberate leeching to be considered leeching and this one qualifies as deliberate, doesn't even complete 3 areas worth of progress with the tons of extra lives gained...
-skito
tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

I've just seen the inp in question. Interesting leech technique, quite suitable for the 'unusual recordings' section on MARP but definitely not suitable for leaderboard points. Unlimited leeching at low risk with no game advancement. That's the formula for a banned technique I believe. Put it down as another exposure of poor game design in Commando and move on.
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

And while we're on the subject

Post by JoustGod »

MDARULZ...please don't get your panties in a bunch with your commentary for your last submission for theglob3. There is a world of difference between my .inp for theglob3 and the recent commandu recording. I think it is rather misguided to think that one wouldn't gain as much from each level as possible as there is a definite ending to each level in theglob3 and the "leeching" doesn't gain extra lives. Put those two factors together and perhaps you could reconsider your commentary and perhaps strategy. If you can make a solid case on your own behalf, please let us hear it.

I suppose carrying it to an ultimate thought, MDARULZ would probably leave all blue monsters alone with no grouping techniques in the interest of "progress". Or perhaps (another MARP favorite...lol) Peter Pepper could haul ass through the Burgertime mazes for completion's sake. OK, so it would cost you a few million points to do so. But, hey, that's the price of "progress".
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

nobody had better DQ it, or else we'll be accused of making it look like discrimination against Polish players!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously though, this is lame. SOME sort of forward progress needs to be made. Hanging around several minutes without scrolling the screen shouldn't be allowed... it's unfortunate that the game doesn't have a timer or ever really becomes harder when stalling, but like tmorrow said, chalk it up to poor game design. A score achieved this way also isn't very exciting to someone watching, remember this is the MAME Action Replay Site...

Perhaps the jeuxvideo.records guys were on to something by ranking scores by level reached, THEN points. I wouldn't apply that to everything, but in a case like this......
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

YES I M GUILTY and i have to be punished :-)
i ve posted this inp with knowledge that it would be a board discussion about it :-) (even my description is specially prepared)
i know that i did a massive leeching but is there anybody else who noticed that in this particular clone (commandu) there is some kind of "bug" and at this place the enemis who throwing granades havent appaered??
i know that my friend karol is much better at commando then me but...i thought what a hell..i ve wasted an hour and i ve done it. i died at stage 8 becuase my eyes and finger were really tired - its not that simple 2 avoiding bullets and grenandes.if u want 2 delete this score pliz do it. i knew that its gonna end that way but...as i mentioned in my other post finding places 2 leech is in our (polish) mentality.
BTW: the same as in toki is in trojan - yes i do the leeching at stage 4 but why ended the game with 4 or 5 guys left ??? what is the profit of this - no there are any profits.
commando is a game with some kind of ending - after destroing the second big bunker it is written "Your all duty finished". so i i would reach the end with leeching like that i wolud be confirmed or also not??
u can easly delete this recording - i dont care but i m proud that again a polish player found sth interesting a made a storm in the glass of water:-)
be prepared for more.
maybe there should be a special contact with any marp moderator or chief 2 send this kind of recordnig or showing the way u want 2 use 2 do that????
and for QRS: for u this is pathetic and for me when i was young (dont know how old are u and where u where raised) it was the only way to play longer with one credit in local arcade. When u were 10 years old and u had 20 zlotych (price for one credit) per day in Poland to spend on coin ups or 2 buy yourself icecreams or sth u would speak different - trust me
u guys only see leeching or not. why ant i read that - bla there were inps like that same as u did and there were all deleted?? why cant u said sth like tmmorow did - interesting "leeching" technique - YES ITS A LEECHING but why the hell nobody can say - sorry wuzel its leeching but u did a good job finding sth like that.
sorry i lost my nerws.
for me MARP is a ql site and gives me lot of fun but... i dont know if im gonna stay here longer
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

wuzel wrote: and for QRS: for u this is pathetic and for me when i was young (dont know how old are u and where u where raised) it was the only way to play longer with one credit in local arcade. When u were 10 years old and u had 20 zlotych (price for one credit) per day in Poland to spend on coin ups or 2 buy yourself icecreams or sth u would speak different
The only problem is that you are no longer 10 years old, and it doesn't cost you 20 zlotych to play anymore, so why do it now? :)
Frankie
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

why? because it fun and it inside me - and its stronger then me
make here at marp sth called "leechersboard" or sth and it would be for people who like to fingind places 2 leech....
thats my last post here at tihs topic
and im thru with marp for now
bye guys - it was a plaeasure 2 be here
see ya maybe someday
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

No one ever played like this when I played. Then again, most people played SF2, but still. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: commandu

Post by DaviL »

I'm very tired to download record thinking " WOW a great player".
I think Marp have lost the control of the rules.
Leeching players like Polish must be disqualified.
They are great players but the don't know what is a right competition. The break the rules.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

:)
Hej DaviL.
On MARP is many inp-s with leeching and these inp-s aren't from polish players.
Disqualified players? If inp break rules then delete inp, not players.
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

Yes of course delete record
But ...
If a lot of players( who made record and observe the rules ) are tired of this Polish leeching technic, if there is some rules that all must observe, WHY POLISH STILL SEND THIS STUPID FU@%#G records ?
PLEASE if you aren't 10Years old babies STOP LEECHING.
STOP CHEAT