Paperboy Scoring

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

I remember the owner of our local arcade used to throw us out if we did the bug in Paperboy. He'd hear the music going in that endless loop, come across and switch it off and then kick us out! Guess he thought we were breaking it in some way! :lol:
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Paperboy.....

Post by AL »

Yeah , I got ' turfed-out 'of an arcade in Blackpool a few years ago for doing it. Needless to say , I didn't go easy , got me money back , and then found a mate , and sent him in to do it .
Same thing happened , only this time he turned the machine off . So the gob-shite lost any potential revenue from the game that day . He should have let me finish my game in the first place !

Oh , another thing you could do to piss-off any narky arcade managers or floor staff , was do the Grandstand thing on Middle Way , and crash on the next course . Game just fucks-up , makes a lot of noise . Great .

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by cosumel »

Ah the memories! I always though that going past the grandstand was a rumor when I lived by an arcade. Does anybody have an INP of doing it?
Ray
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Grandstand

Post by AL »

I'll try and do one for ye , and the Lawnmower trick too ( slightly harder ) .
I just need to figure out how to configure a Hotrod to play . Failing that , I'll blag a gamepad somewhere , which is what I used last time .

AL
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

So what's the lawnmower trick then? Never heard of that one.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Lawnmower Trick...

Post by AL »

Ok , I've spent a bit trying to play Paperboy using Hotrod in order to record an INP of the Grandstand trick . No luck , no patience .

However , I have found two INP's of the Lawnmower trick I recorded a while back . Version of MAME is Windows MAME 35 bETA 5 !

Basically this is what you do :

Play as normal , but when you start on Tuesday or Wednesday , deliberately damage the first house ( smash windows ) and a lawnmower will come out. Let it crash into you , making sure that it hits the center of your bike. If you`ve done it correctly , you will be moved up to house 118 on your next life. Then the game goes haywire and you lose all your men , but when you enter your initials , your score will be 5m, 100m , or 1B ...whatever.

I will e-mail anyone who wants them , starting with Ray , and ' DRN ' .
Remember , use the correct version to playback !

AL ( I don't write the news , I just don't believe it..)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: Paperboy splits

Post by Chad »

***PL*** wrote:Since most of you seem to be complaining about this game, I've decided to split it 4 ways. 8) You were never required to submit one INP with three games, but to remain competitive that is what players tended to do. Paperboy itself will remain the Grandslam score (sum of Easy, Medium, Hard). You must play each once for a total of three plays in the INP.
I don't think i can find the grandslam split, did we remove this? I guess I'm wondering what to do with the grand slam score submited under easy street.

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/paperboy-es
-skito
***PL***
Editor

Re: Paperboy splits

Post by ***PL*** »

Chad wrote:
***PL*** wrote:Since most of you seem to be complaining about this game, I've decided to split it 4 ways. 8) You were never required to submit one INP with three games, but to remain competitive that is what players tended to do. Paperboy itself will remain the Grandslam score (sum of Easy, Medium, Hard). You must play each once for a total of three plays in the INP.
I don't think i can find the grandslam split, did we remove this? I guess I'm wondering what to do with the grand slam score submited under easy street.

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/paperboy-es
You realize you bumped up a thread that was last active eight (8) years ago!!! =D>

We dropped the Grandslam scoring a long time ago...
Malky2000
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: Paperboy Scoring

Post by Malky2000 »

This would be my fault for submitting the score!

Been a bit of a battle for the Paperboy scores over at TG for the past couple of months. At TG the Grand Slam score must be within the one recording but on this occasion I totally trounced my previous best on easy street (by nearly 10000 points) so I decided to submit it for the Grand Slam score AND the Easy Street score - it was accepted no problem, I guess it's just the same if I played the arcade original and sent in video proof - I could easily tape the whole 3 streets for the Grand Slam score, and could have just edited the video to start from the Easy Street game and submitted that as a seperate Easy Street score - however this is not possible with the MAME recordings!

Typical really, as on previous Grand Slam recordings I would start with Easy Street and move on to a Grand Slam recording if I didnt beat my score, on this occasion I was actually trying to beat the Middle Road score (still a bit rusty on Middle Road!) so I started on that and finished off on Easy Street only to obliterate my previous world record!

Hope this can be accepted for the Easy Street score here at MARP?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Imo this should be accepted, just leave the comment "3rd road on recording". TG is "wrong" for not accepting inps separately for "Grand Slam" score.

Right? Any objections?

(Had to google it, but now I finally know what "gob-shite" means, Al. Better later than never as they say..)
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

The TJT wrote:. TG is "wrong" for not accepting inps separately for "Grand Slam" score.
As far as I can see there is a Grand Slam version at TG:

Variation: Points [Grand Slam Score]
Platform: M.A.M.E.
Rules: ROMSet: PaperBoy
Service Mode: Off
Difficulty: Med. Hard
Bonus Life: 15000
Lives: 3
Unknown: Off [Both]
Special Rules: A "Grand Slam" is the sum of a single player's three (3) difficulty scores combined (Easy, Middle, Hard). The scores must be achieved on the same recording using the same initials. After discussion with former TG senior referee Ron Corcoran back in 2002, it was determined that the "Grand Slam" performance itself must be accomplished within the same recording. Without this proviso, a player could indefinitely add to their "Grand Slam" score over a lengthy period of time. Further, the possibility of another player using the same initials in the interrim period exists. In all other respects, the rules governing the individual difficulty records will apply. The "Obstacle Course Trick", the "Grandstand Trick", and the "Lawnmower Trick" are all banned tactics. Usage of any will disqualify the score.
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA
Malky2000
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Malky2000 »

ballas wrote:
The TJT wrote:. TG is "wrong" for not accepting inps separately for "Grand Slam" score.
As far as I can see there is a Grand Slam version at TG:

Variation: Points [Grand Slam Score]
Platform: M.A.M.E.
Rules: ROMSet: PaperBoy
Service Mode: Off
Difficulty: Med. Hard
Bonus Life: 15000
Lives: 3
Unknown: Off [Both]
Special Rules: A "Grand Slam" is the sum of a single player's three (3) difficulty scores combined (Easy, Middle, Hard). The scores must be achieved on the same recording using the same initials. After discussion with former TG senior referee Ron Corcoran back in 2002, it was determined that the "Grand Slam" performance itself must be accomplished within the same recording. Without this proviso, a player could indefinitely add to their "Grand Slam" score over a lengthy period of time. Further, the possibility of another player using the same initials in the interrim period exists. In all other respects, the rules governing the individual difficulty records will apply. The "Obstacle Course Trick", the "Grandstand Trick", and the "Lawnmower Trick" are all banned tactics. Usage of any will disqualify the score.

Yes, this is exactly why my recording is a "Grand Slam" recording - but the game that I played within that recording beats the Easy Street score hands down, so I submitted it to TG as both a Grand Slam AND an Easy Street score and it was accepted without question (although I had been in touch with one of the refs a while back hypothesising about this very conundrum!) - just there is no way to seperate the Easy Street score for upload at MARP, but I cannot see how the score should be any less valid, it is a seperate game after all.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Yeah, it is "valid". but there's a question of what kind of recording is this? It's not an easy street recording, it's a grand slam recording. Beacuse if people want to watch an easy streeet recording they have to wait through 30 minutes of hardway and middleroad play. No question that there is a record for easy street with-in, it's just how you want to sort it. We've always had a policy not accepting a single file recording for multiple marp games or clones. We've also had a policy for ONE credit only for nearly all marp games. But, we've also had a policy not to make a combination of "streets" when the individual streets are already games, which is why PL removed the grandslam split.
-skito
Malky2000
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Malky2000 »

Chad wrote:Yeah, it is "valid". but there's a question of what kind of recording is this? It's not an easy street recording, it's a grand slam recording. Beacuse if people want to watch an easy streeet recording they have to wait through 30 minutes of hardway and middleroad play. No question that there is a record for easy street with-in, it's just how you want to sort it. We've always had a policy not accepting a single file recording for multiple marp games or clones. We've also had a policy for ONE credit only for nearly all marp games. But, we've also had a policy not to make a combination of "streets" when the individual streets are already games, which is why PL removed the grandslam split.

Fair do's, I agree with that, I submitted it here in preparation for the tourney, and also because I hadn't submitted anything in quite a number of years, since K2!

I can see the point of the rules at TG regarding the Grand Slam, because whoever is top at all the streets (i.e. ME!) would automatically be the Grand Slam champ (if they hold all three records, I suppose it could go to someone else if they held a big enough score gap between first and second) - anyway, maybe it shouldn't be like that over at TG, after all the spirit of the Grand Slam score on the original arcade machine was that it was supposed to be the best scores over time and was supposed to be added to over a period.

As their rules say "a player could indefinitely add to their "Grand Slam" score over a lengthy period of time" - well that was rather the point of the game!

I'll probably try to better the score in a single Easy Street game anyway, but it is getting tougher and tougher to add points to it (well I said that before and I manage nearly 10000 on my previous best, lol).
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

all bureaucratic jargon aside, it was enjoyable to watch the entire grandslam recording.
-skito