Outrun

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

mahlemiut
Editor

Outrun

Post by mahlemiut »

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/7nt_outr ... mame62.zip

Somewhat dubious technique employed there methinks.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

The classic "off road" trick.. Well even if it requires skill to play using that trick I think it belongs to the tips and trick page. It takes away the spirit of the game if you ask me.

Just my opinion.
QRS
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Re: RE

Post by Novice »

DEFCON=6
QRS wrote:The classic "off road" trick.. Well even if it requires skill to play using that trick I think it belongs to the tips and trick page. It takes away the spirit of the game if you ask me.

Just my opinion.
classic "off road" trick is the symbol of outrun.
turbo-out run(1989),out runners(1992) has this feature.
In other word, this trick IS "the spirit of this game."
do you know why this game is called as "OUT" run??

and, this trick is not so easy. failed very often and very dangerous.
If QRS has something opinion, you shold not speak ill of others but to make better recording by yourself.
I did not use autofire/slowdown.
and not defined any special rules.
there is no reason anyone reject my score...

of course I know that 52 million is worthless score.
that is just a sample.
If that one confirmed, I will try to beat 4'40" (56million).
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Blost
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Blost »

The question is, is this technique 1337 ? :)
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Hisa:

Don´t take things personally. I don´t talk ill about you or the score. All I say is that it makes the game into something else than it was intended for. If you have another opinion about the spirit of the game, you are welcome to have that. I have just stated mine.

Also, If you read my post I say it requires skill to play as you do.
I have tried the trick myself many times and I agree with you it is not easy, and it is dangerous.
But I have no intention to play like that on Marp. I prefer the ordinary way of doing it.

This is a forum for opinions and Barry asked for the public opinion about this trick. I have stated mine, and you have stated yours. No need to take things personally.

Any other that has any opinion about this?

Cheers

QRS
QRS
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

The real question is doing that off-road trick have you made the game and getting higher scores easier versus racing it the way the game was intended to be played? If so then this off-road technique should be banned. If the game is equally as hard or even harder using this off-road technique, then allow it. However, I think it must be an easier way to get high scores otherwise why would you do it? If it's equally as hard yet allows you to get better times and thus higher score when/if you reach the end then I guess that's one to discuss. I would be torn on that type of thing.

I use the general rule of thumb that you should play the game as intended to be played. It's clear the game wasn't intended for you to drive off the road for extended periods to avoid having to dodge traffic.
Yes, I agree it isn't easy cuz you still have to be careful you don't get where you crash into the bushes, trees, columns, signs, etc. but you don't get any computer cars racing over there which removes an element of the game.

This isn't personal at all. I don't even know who you are etc. I just think games should be played in their pure form....as intended..not exploiting a flaw or bug in the game like that where you are in a way playing a different game versus the rest of us that race on the road....or at least try and stay on the road. :P
Novice

Post by Novice »

DEFCON=4
For LN2.
I can not understand why there are some players want to ban "Standard tecnique"

To make 50million+, using this trick is easier than not using.
I certain.

To make 40million, not using this trick is easier than using this trick.
driving safety,40 million is a piece of cake,on the other hand,only 3 gear miss is allowed for using players.
If you doubt this fact, get 40+ million with this trick by yourself.

DEFCON=6
For barry.

I have missed the most important thing.
How to do this trick.
when running 279km/h+ ,change gear HIGH>LOW>HIGH with reasonable timing,you can courseout without speed up/speed down.
timing is very severe. if you failed, down to 241km/h or crush.and reset. try it again.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

Blost wrote:The question is, is this technique 1337 ? :)
LoL

:)
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Novice wrote:DEFCON=6
that is just a sample.
I can't approuve you wth that ! Comments as 'poor score', 'bleh', 'snore' or many others bad comments for marp top scores are insults for all others players who didn't reach these hi scores.

You're a great player but a real great player don't write such comments.

It's not only for you, you're not alone to make that and I become very angry to see that each time a great recording is posted.

Francois
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LN2 wrote: This isn't personal at all. I don't even know who you are etc. I just think games should be played in their pure form....as intended..not exploiting a flaw or bug in the game like that where you are in a way playing a different game versus the rest of us that race on the road....or at least try and stay on the road. :P
I agree with you. In jvrm tournaments, all bug use are banned. But, this trick is a bug or a flaw use ?

Francois
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Novice wrote:DEFCON=4
when running 279km/h+ ,change gear HIGH>LOW>HIGH with reasonable timing,you can courseout without speed up/speed down.
timing is very severe. if you failed, down to 241km/h or crush.and reset. try it again.
Oki, for me it's like a cheat mode, so it must be banned.

Francois
Novice

Post by Novice »

DEFCON=3
Francois Daniel wrote:
Novice wrote:DEFCON=6
that is just a sample.
I can't approuve you wth that ! Comments as 'poor score', 'bleh', 'snore' or many others bad comments for marp top scores are insults for all others players who didn't reach these hi scores.
You're a great player but a real great player don't write such comments.
It's not only for you, you're not alone to make that and I become very angry to see that each time a great recording is posted.
Francois
It is just your opinion.
my opinion is always what I say.
I know that 52 million is poor.
http://yuri.sakura.ne.jp/~teko/replay.html
has over 60 million.

Yes. I am not real good player indeed. and it is what always saying.
do you really know the meaning of "NOVICE"?
it is the fact. I am a novice player even if a little better than real ga.....
sorry forget it. :lol:

anger against your skill period.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Novice

Post by Novice »

DEFCON=1
Francois Daniel wrote:
Novice wrote:DEFCON=4
Oki, for me it's like a cheat mode, so it must be banned.
Francois
correct. you can coueseout without speed up/speed down for 1 second.
and do it again with reasonable timing,can run outside for 7.2 seconds.
not safe for all object. just can course out without slowdown. it may crush.
and if failed each of attempts,slowdown to 241Km/h whitout speed up for 7.2 seconds.(RESET!)

francois' suggestion should be done after do it by himself and beat current (of at least 43million of QRS's) top score by francois with this trick.
no-skill,no-intelligence,no-knowledge guys poor envy should be ignored.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

Francois Daniel wrote: I can't approuve you wth that ! Comments as 'poor score', 'bleh', 'snore' or many others bad comments for marp top scores are insults for all others players who didn't reach these hi scores.
I agree 100% with that, comments like that are so arrogant.
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Skyline »

Novice wrote:http://yuri.sakura.ne.jp/~teko/replay.html
has over 60 million.

Yes. I am not real good player indeed. and it is what always saying.
do you really know the meaning of "NOVICE"?
The meaning of "novice" is a beginner, someone who's inexperienced. You're far from a novice so why call yourself that? And I agree with Francois and KFX on your comments. Completely shattering the record for [insert game here] and then calling it a piece of crap is pretty much throwing turds on everyone else who actually take PRIDE in their scores. Bleh... :?

On the Outrun issue: on the inps in http://yuri.sakura.ne.jp/~teko/replay.html, TEKO (or whatever his name is) mentioned not decelerating in the game which obviously would warrant a higher score than using your brake or easing up on the gas during turns/swerving through traffic/etc. Is it harder to keep at top speed while on the road or off the road? See I really AM a "novice" in Outrun and 95% of the other games in MAME...so using both methods I crashed, burned, cursed, etc...you get the picture :roll:
「シューティング ラブ。」